INTRODUCTION: Not included in exams.
- Wilkes90: J. Wilkes.
"CSP Project Startup Documents.",
HPL-CSP-90-42, Oct. 1990.
- Levin83: R. Levin, D. Redell.
"An Evaluation of the Ninth SOSP Submissions; or, How (and How Not) to Write a Good Systems Paper.",
ACM Sigops Operating Systems Review, Vol. 17, No. 3, July 1983, pp 35-40.
- Gabriel91: R. Gabriel
"Worse is Better. ",
An excerpt (section 2-2.1, pages 7-10) from LISP: good news, bad news, how to win BIG, AI Expert, vol. 6, no. 6, June 1991, pp. 31-39.
- Lampson83: B. Lampson.
"Hints for Computer System Design.",
ACM Symposium on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP), Dec. 1983, pp 33-48.
TOPIC 1: Threads, IPC, Ordering and Races
- Birrell84: A. Birrell, B. Nelson.
"Implementing Remote Procedure Call.",
ACM Transactions on Computer Systems vol. 2, no. 1, February 1984, pp. 39-59.
- Hauser93: Carl Hauser, Christian Jacobi, Marvin Theimer, Brent Welch, Mark Weiser.
"Using threads in interactive systems: A case study.",
ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP-14), December 1993.
- Lamport78: L. Lamport.
"Time, Clocks, and the Ordering of Events in a Distributed System.",
Communications of the ACM (CACM), vol 21, no 7, July 1978.
- Welsh01: Matt Welsh, David Culler, and Eric Brewer.
"SEDA: An Architecture for Well-Conditioned, Scalable Internet Services.",
ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP-18), October 2001.
- Savage97: Stefan Savage, Michael Burrows, Greg Nelson, Patrick Sobalvarro, Thomas Anderson.
"Eraser: A Dynamic Data Race Detector for Multi-Threaded Programs.",
ACM Symp. on Operating Systems Principles (SOSP-16), October 1997.
TOPIC 2: Storage, Remote DMA and File Systems
- Patterson88: David A. Patterson, Garth A. Gibson, Randy H. Katz.
"A Case for Redundant Arrays of Inexpensive Disks (RAID).",
ACM SIGMOD Conference 1988. 109-116.
- Howard88: John H. Howard, Michael L. Kazar, Sherri G. Menees, David A. Nichols, M. Satyanarayanan, Robert N. Sidebotham, Michael J. West.
"Scale and performance in a distributed file system.",
ACM Transactions on Computer Systems (TOCS), 1988, Pages: 51-81
- Thekkath94: Chandramohan A. Thekkath, Henry M. Levy, Edward D. Lazowska.
"Separating data and control transfer in distributed operating systems.",
Proc. of the 6th Int. Conf. on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems (ASPLOS), November 1994.
- Rosenblum92: M. Rosenblum, J. Ousterhout.
"The Design and Implementation of a Log-Structured File System.",
ACM Trans. Computer Systems, vol. 10, no. 1, February 1992, pp. 26-52.
- Gibson98: G. Gibson, D. Nagle, et al.
"A Cost-Effective, High-Bandwidth Storage Architecture.",
8th Conf. on Architectural Support for Programming Languages and Operating Systems, October 1998, pp. 92-103.
- Ghemawat03: Sanjay Ghemawat, Howard Gobioff, Shun-Tak Leung.
"The Google File System.",
ACM Symp. on Operating Systems principles (SOSP-19), 2003.
- Dean04: Jeffrey Dean and Sanjay Ghemawat.
"MapReduce: Simplified Data Processing on Large Clusters.",
USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2004.
TOPIC 3: Transactions & Databases
- Kung81: H.T. Kung, John Robinson.
"On Optimistic Methods for Concurrency Control.",
ACM Trans. Database Systems (TODS), vol 6, no 2, June 1981.
- Lehman81: Philip L. Lehman, S. Bing Yao.
"Efficient Locking for Concurrent Operations on B-Trees.",
ACM Trans. Database Systems (TODS) vol 6, no 4, pp 650-670, 1981.
- Franklin97: Michael J. Franklin
"Concurrency Control and Recovery",
The Computer Science and Engineering Handbook, CRC Press, pp 1058--1077, 1997.
(Simpler version of Haerder83)
- Chang06: Fay Chang, Jeffrey Dean, Sanjay Ghemawat, Wilson C. Hsieh, Deborah A. Wallach, Mike Burrows, Tushar Chandra, Andrew Fikes, Robert E. Gruber.
"Bigtable: A Distributed Storage System for Structured Data.",
USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), 2006
TOPIC 4: Generalized Fault Tolerance
- Lamport82: L. Lamport, R. Shostak, M. Pease.
"The Byzantine General's Problem.",
ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, vol. 4, no. 3, July 1982, pp. 382-401.
- Castro99: M. Castro, B. Liskov.
"Practical Byzantine Fault Tolerance",
USENIX Symposium on Operating Systems Design and Implementation (OSDI), February 1999.
- Vogels07: Werner Vogels et al.
"Dynamo: Amazon's Highly Available Key-value Store",
TOPIC 5: Security
- Thompson84: Ken Thompson.
"Reflections on Trusting Trust.",
Communications of the ACM, vol. 27, no. 8, August 1984, pp. 761-763.
- Anderson94: Ross Anderson.
"Why Cryptosystems Fail.",
Communications of the ACM, vol. 37, no. 11, August 1994, pp. 32-40.
- Burrows90: Michael Burrows, Martin Abadi, Roger Needham.
"A Logic of Authentication.",
ACM Trans. on Computer Systems (TOCS), vol 8, no 1, February 1990.