15-213/15-513 Introduction to Computer Systems (ICS): Exams
- There will be a midterm and a final exam, both administered via
- Both exams are closed book.
- You may bring two (2) double-sided 8 1/2 x 11 sheets of
notes, but you may not refer to any other book, document, or
online reference during the exam.
- You may also bring blank scratch paper, but you are not permitted
to use a calculator or any other electronic aid.
- There will be questions similar to previous exams, questions that
will test your understanding of the lab material, and new types of
- Your TAs will hold an exam review before each exam.
- To study, read each chapter and work in study groups to review slides,
review your own notes, work the practice problems in the book,
and do problems from previous exams.
Midterm Exam - June 24th
The nominal time for the midterm exam is 80 minutes, but students will
have 3 hours to complete the exam, starting from the beginning of the
The exam may include anything that was covered from the beginning of
the course up to and including June 16.
Final Exam - August 11th
The nominal time for the final exam is 3 hours.
You are responsible for all material covered in the course.
We provide a collection of old exams for you to review while
Note: Many of the practice exams use the IA32
architecture. All present and future exams will solely use the x86-64
architecture. A detailed comparison between the two architectures can
be found on
website under the ASM:IA32 heading. Listed below are some practice
problems that use the x86-64 architecture:
- Fall 2012: Questions 3 and 4
- Fall 2011: Questions 3 and 4
- Spring 2011: Question 3
- Fall 2010: Questions 3 and 4
- Fall 2009: Question 5
- Spring 2008: Question 3
- Spring 2007: Question 2
- Fall 2006: Question 4