马逸飞Last update: June 16, 2016
Office: 8223 Gates Building
I am in my fifth year of PhD program in Machine Learning, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University.
I seek to develop tools that can aid knowledge exploration as well as decision-making in scientific, social, and commercial environments.
Viewing machine learning as an approach to find signals in data,
one important research is on better human/mobile sensor interaction.
Currently, interactive machine learning faces challenges in handling complex conditions and patterns in real applications.
My focus is to increase model complexity for better automation in signal searches.
Active search is an example of interactive machine learning. It aims to discover all positive targets by examining as few candidate instances and learning from their outcomes as possible in a sequential and adaptive manner. To apply active search to real and more complex scenarios, I analyzed different assumptions about how these instances are organized, how to access them, and how to define rewards.
The methods that I consider generally belong to the families of Bayesian optimization and multi-armed bandits. For the theory part, I am interested in regret analysis, spectral graph theories, as well as diversity via submodular set functions. I also consider information/statistical theory to demonstrate optimality despite the adaptive and uncertain nature of active systems. My applications are in robotics and information retrieval. In the future, I want to also consider complexity from partial observability, system dynamics, and outliers, for applications with deep and dynamic natures.
- Yifei Ma, Tzu-Kuo Huang, Jeff Schneider. Active Search and Bandits on Graphs Using Sigma-Optimality. UAI 2015. [paper] [codes] [spotlight] [poster]
- Yifei Ma, Dougal J. Sutherland, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Pointillistic Pattern Search. AISTATS 2015. Two Shared Lead Authors. [paper] [supp] [spotlight] [poster(pptx)]
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Area Search via Bayesian Quadrature. AISTATS 2014. [paper]
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Sigma-Optimality for Active Learning on Gaussian Random Fields. NIPS 2013. [paper] [codes] [poster]
- Guangyu Xia, Tongbo Huang, Yifei Ma, Roger B. Dannenberg, Christos Faloutsos. MidiFind: Similarity Search and Popularity Mining in Large MIDI Databases. CMMR 2013: 259-276.
Yifei Ma, Li Li, Xiaolin Huang, Shuning Wang, Robust Support Vector Machine Using Least Median Loss Penalty, Proceedings of the 18th IFAC World Congress, Volume 18, Part 1, 2011.
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Search for Sparse Signals with Region Sensing. ICML 2016 Workshop on Data-Efficient Machine Learning. [paper] [workshop]
- Yifei Ma, Dougal J. Sutherland, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Active Pointillistic Pattern Search. NIPS 2014 Workshop on Bayesian Optimization.
- Yifei Ma, Roman Garnett, Jeff Schneider. Submodularity in Batch Active Learning and Survey Problems on Gaussian Random Fields. NIPS 2012 Workshop on DISCML.
Citadel LLC. Quantitative Researcher Intern. 5/2014-8/2014 at Chicago.
- Feature design and analysis for market value prediction.
- Bayesian methods for low-frequency predictions.
Ph.D. Student in Machine Learning, Carnegie Mellon University, 8/2011-now.
- Advised by Research Professor Jeff Schneider.
B.S. in Automation, Dual B.S. in Mathematics, Tsinghua University, 8/2007-7/2011.
- 1st GPA in Automation by the time of graduate school application.
- Totally 11 students dual majored in Mathematics in a class of 3000+ students.
Exchange Study (Credits Transferred), Georgia Inst. of Technology, 8/2009-12/2009.
- A rare opportunity given to only 6 students university-wide.
Honors and Awards
- 2007-2010, 1st Level Academic Scholarship every year in Tsinghua University;
- 10/2009, 31/700 in IEEEXtreme 24-Hour Programming Competition (team leader);
- 10/2006, 1st prize in National High School Physics Competition;
- 03/2006, Qualified for the American Invitational Mathematics Examination (no further award for foreigners);
- 10/2004, 1st prize in National High School Math Competition (over 2 years younger than most others).
- Joined student volunteer group for over 10 years;
- Served as a regular campus guide for visitors in Tsinghua University;
- Volunteered for the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games (in medal ceremonies as a winning national flag raiser).
Student Activities and Hobbies
- Editor for Tsinghua Student Psychology Club Journal;
- Member of Campus Tour Guide Association;
- Member of Tsinghua Honor Guard (to display and escort the national flag on ceremonial occasions);
- Classical Chinese Philosophy like the Analects (Confucius) and Tao Te Qing (Lao-tzu);
- Piano, swimming, running, and wall climbing.