Daytime phone: (412) 268-3977
E-mail: waisel AT cs.cmu.edu
Fax: (815) 461-2405
* Would Like To: Design/assess information visualizations and interfaces, target new business, manage client relationships, build systems, do rapid prototyping, manage project teams, write proposals.
* Skills Summary: Inventive, strategic thinker, strong communications skills, disciplined, organized, can focus projects and motivate teamwork.
RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCE
* Command Post of the Future (DARPA project). Collaborating with MAYA Viz, Ltd. Coordinating insights from domain experts, visualization development, and experimental design. Participating in Command and Control University (C2U), a DARPA-sponsored program providing technologists with a basic understanding of battle command. Liaison between the technology providers and the domain experts. Application pending for Secret level clearance. Carnegie Mellon, 1999-present.
* Exploratory data analysis. Developing theoretical framework for characterizing how people do exploratory data analysis with visualization tools. Experimental design/implementation in progress. Carnegie Mellon, 1998-present.
Visualization in modeling. Doctoral research explored the cognitive role of
visualization in modeling. Developed theoretical framework for modeling with
visualization. Designed and built interactive groundwater modeling software
with data collection module. Designed and carried out 12-participant experiment
to assess theoretical framework using the groundwater modeling software.
Videotaped experiments, transcribed and coded verbal protocols. Performed
content analysis on transcripts and videotapes. Used statistical methods to
analyze quantitative data.
support system development. Co-developed decision support system to help reduce
maritime deaths and injuries for U. S. Coast Guard. System analyzed and
visualized varying combinations of factors with regard to outcome.
* Emotion in
disaster management. Analyzed videotaped interviews with local residents and
FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) response team members present during
a wildfire-fighting incident in
visualizations. Developed innovative "layered" method of visualizing
problem solving heuristics. Built "Modeler's Assistant" application that
helps user characterize groundwater flow over a given region. Worked closely
with domain experts to incorporate mathematical models of groundwater flow.
Designed interactive interface for user to "drill" wells in different
locations, as well as data collection system for research on cognition and
course in multimedia visualization. Developed course that emphasized 1)
multimedia design principles and methods, including storyboarding and rapid
prototyping; 2) project management strategies, including time management and
identification/effective use of expert resources; and 3) extensive
application-building using Macromedia Director and Lingo. Course designed for
Satellite Video Program, to accommodate both co-located and distance learning.
* 3D sediment
contaminant visualizations. For
energy-efficient home. Minimized energy costs by incorporating stress-skin panel
construction, thermal mass, heat exchanger, high-efficiency fireplace, &
other innovative construction technologies. Designed living space layout.
Designed and installed custom-patterned tile countertops and floors. House was
featured in Harrowsmith Country Life, "A Home Of Her Own," November
Applications Analyst. Responsible for implementation, maintenance, and training
for clinical applications of MEDITECH Hospital Information System: Lab, Pharmacy,
Nursing Care Plans, Nursing Acuity, Nursing Order Entry, Radiology, Medical
Records Transcription, Patient Care Inquiry, and Office Automation. Designed
and coded statistical and patient-care reports for physicians, department
heads, and Quality Assurance staff. Supervised application installation for 12
clinical departments and 8 inpatient units. Mediated inter-departmental
differences over database structure and content and helped resolve sensitive
conversion issues. Supported 200+ physicians, nurses, and clinical staff during
18-month transition from completely manual record-keeping to full
* Proposal writer / Grant Manager. Lead writer for 2 National Science Foundation (NSF) proposals, one funded, one still under review. NSF grant SBR-9730465 provided $300,000 over 3 years, funding 2 years of my doctoral research. Obtained funding from U.S. Environmental Protection Agency for creating 3D visualizations of sediment contaminants, supporting 1 year of my doctoral research. Managed FIPSE (Fund for the Improvement of Post-Secondary Education) grant for substance abuse prevention program at Southern Vermont College. Participated in the preparation of multiple DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) proposals at Carnegie Mellon.
Owner-builder. General contractor for construction of $90K+ energy-efficient
home. Hired, coordinated, supervised subcontractors for electrical, plumbing,
and finish work. Installed sheetrock, tile floors and counters, brick sunroom
floor; painted exterior siding.
* Real estate
development manager. Managed development of 16-unit subdivision for
out-of-state investor. Collaborated closely with civil engineer to secure state
environmental permits for subdividing 160-acre plot, entailing 18 months of
hearings under local and state officials. Coordinated land clearing, road
construction, installation of electrical and telephone services. Managed snow
removal and road maintenance. Organized homeowners' association.
house manager. Managed 10-bedroom, 3-story halfway house for patients
TRAINING AND TEACHING EXPERIENCE
* Coordinator, Clinical Information Systems Training Program. Organized, motivated, and supervised team of instructors teaching hospital information system to 200+ hospital staff. Designed and developed educational materials. Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, 1990-1993.
* Independent information systems training consultant. Samaritan Hospital, Troy, NY, 1993-1994. Custom-designed and delivered seminars in MEDITECH's report-writing and office automation applications. Samaritan Hospital, Troy, NY, 1993-1994.
* Senior Teaching Associate. Taught graduate course "Multimedia and Visualization for Decision Makers," 3 semesters, to a total of 40+ students. Rensselaer, 1996-1997.
* Teaching Assistant. Led recitations, assigned homework, made up exams for undergraduate and graduate courses in statistics and information systems, including Information and Decision Systems, Design of Experiments, Statistical Methods, and Microcomputer Applications. Rensselaer, 1993-1995.
* Piano Teacher. Helped finance my undergraduate education by giving weekly lessons to students ranging in age from nine to adult. Williamstown, MA, 1983-1984.
* Inpatient psychotherapist. Conducted individual and group psychotherapy for inpatients on short-term unlocked psychiatric unit. Developed treatment plans. Managed monthly Grand Rounds presentations (booked speakers, arranged for facilities and publicity, etc.). Wrote and revised unit policy. Designed quality assurance measures in accordance with Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organization regulations. Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, 1989-1990.
* College counselor. Counseled college students on the gamut of personal and academic issues. Administered campus-wide substance abuse prevention program, funded by FIPSE. Supervised student peer counselors and co-led peer counselor process group. North Adams State College, North Adams, MA, 1987-1988; Southern Vermont College, Bennington, VT, 1988-1989.
* Community mental health center psychotherapist. Interned at regional mental health center. Counseled individuals, groups, families, couples. Wrote treatment plans. Participated in clinical reviews. United Counseling Service of Bennington County, 1986-1987.
Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute,
Troy, NY, 1998. Dissertation: The Cognitive Role of Visualization in the
Modeling Process. Major area: Information and Decision Systems. Advisor:
William A. Wallace.
M.S., Industrial & Management Engineering-Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY, 1994.
M.A., Counseling Psychology-Antioch New England Graduate School, Keene, NH, 1988. Areas of concentration: Individual Psychotherapy and Group Psychotherapy.
B.A., Music-Williams College, Williamstown, MA, 1984. Graduated cum laude.
AWARDS AND HONORS
National Science Foundation Post-Doctoral Fellowship at U. of California at
* 4.0 Cumulative GPA at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.
* Dean's Committee on Women in Engineering, Rensselaer (1997-1998).
* Rensselaer Founders Award of Excellence, awarded to 1% of Rensselaer students each year (1997).
* General Electric Faculty for the Future Fellowship (1996-1997, 1997-1998).
* National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellowship Competition: Honorable Mention (1994).
* Alpha Pi Mu Industrial Engineering Honor Society (1994).
Association for Artificial Intelligence (AAAI)
* Institute for Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) Computer Society
* Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
1998 - 2000
Postdoctoral Fellow, Visualization & Intelligent User Interfaces Group,
Robotics Institute, Carnegie Mellon University.
1993 - 1998 Research Asst., Teaching Asst., Senior Teaching Associate, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. Earned M.S. and Ph.D.
1993 - 1994 Training Consultant for Samaritan Hospital, Troy, NY.
1990 - 1993 Clinical Applications Analyst, Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, Bennington, VT.
1989 - 1990 Inpatient Psychotherapist, Southwestern Vermont Medical Center, Bennington, VT.
1987 - 1993 Real Estate Development Manager, Pownal, VT.
1988 - 1990 Owner-Builder, Pownal, VT.
1988 - 1989 College Counselor, Southern Vermont College, Bennington, VT.
1987 - 1988 College Counselor, North Adams State College, Bennington, VT.
1986 - 1987 Psychotherapist, United Counseling Service of Bennington County, Bennington, VT.
1986 - 1988 Antioch New England Graduate School. Earned M.A. in Counseling.
1985 - 1986 Halfway House Manager, Berkshire Mental Health Center, Pittsfield, MA.
1984 - 1985 Software Phone Support, The Saddlebrook Corporation, Cambridge, MA.
1980 - 1984 Undergraduate, Williams College. Earned B.A. in Music.