1. Quick-Fried Shredded Pork in Capital Sauce ()
750 g (1.5 lb) pork fillet, shredded into matchstick strips
pinch of salt
2 tabletspoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon cornflour
1 tablespoon water
1 litre (1 3/4 pints) vegetable oil
3 tablespoons sweet red bean paste
1/2 tablespoon sugar
2 tablespoons sesame oil
2 tablespoons Chinese wine or dry sherry
1 lettuce, shredded
Preparation time: 20 minutes
Cooking time: 5-10 minutes
2. Heat the oil until it is smoking and add the pork Stir-fry quickly for about 30 seconds, then remove and drain.
3. Mix together the sweet bean paste, sugar, remaining soy sauce, 1/2 tablespoon sesame oil and the wine. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a pan until boiling, then add the combined ingredients. Bring to the boil and add the pork. Toss in the sauce and add the remaining sesame oil.
4. Place the shredded lettuce on a serving dish and place the pork mixture on top. Serve with noodles.
2. Peking Sliced Lamb and Cucumber Soup ()
225 g (8 oz) boned lamb, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) strips
1 tablespoon soy sauce
pinch of MSG
1 teaspoon sesame oil
1.5 litres (2.5 pints) chicken stock
pinch of salt
pinch of freshly ground white pepper
1 cucumber, thinly sliced
1.25 tablespoons wine vinegar
Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus marinating
Cooking time: about 4 minutes
2. heat the chicken stock in a pan with the salt and white pepper. Bring to the boil, then add the lamb strips. Poach for 1 minute, then remove from the stock with a slotted spoon. Add the cucumber and bring to the boil once more. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 2 minutes.
3. Return the lamb to the pan ans add the vinegar. Bring back to the
boil and serve at once.
<> Xiaoniu SuChu Hsu (¤p¤û) 1998 email@example.com