A well-balanced meal for 4. the highly savoury taste of the beef comes from the use of salted black beans, which are first soaked and drained, then mashed into the cooking oil over a high heat. begin with the delicate, creamy soup - a favourite soup of the region and one which is often served at banquets.
1. Velvet Chicken and Sweetcorn Soup ()
1.2 litres (2 pints) chicken stock
1 x 225 g (8 oz) can creamed sweetcorn
1/2 teaspoon salt
pinch of MSG
2 tablespoons cornflour
4 tablespoons cold water
2 spring onions, finely chopped
2 egg whites
2 tablespoons milk
50 g (2 oz) chopped ham
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 10 minutes
2. Beat together the egg whites and milk and pour on the soup in a thin stream.
3. Pour into individual bowls and sprinkle on the chopped ham. serve immediately.
2. Quick-Fried Beef in Black Bean Sauce ()
2 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
450 g (1 lb) beef steak, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) slices
3 teaspoons salted black beans, soaked in 3 tablespoons water for 20 minutes
1/2 teaspoon chilli sauce
2 red or green peppers, cored, seeded and cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) squares
1 tablespoon cornflour
3 tablespoons water or beef stock
1 tablespoon Chinese wine or sherry
Preparation time: 15 minutes, plus soaking
Cooking time: 6 minutes
2. Add the black beans and the soaking water to the wok. Mash the beans in the wok then add the chilli sauce and peppers. Stir all together and return the beef to the wok.
3. Blend the cornflour with the stock and stir into the wok to thicken the sauce. Add the wine and stir to mix until the sauce has thickened.
3. Prawn Noodles ()
100 g (4 oz) uncooked prawns, peeled and deveined
1 egg white
1 teaspoon cornflour
350 g (12 oz) egg noodles
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
3 spring onions, cut into 2.5 cm (1 inch) lengths
2 tablespoons soy suace
1 tablespoon Chinese wine or dry sherry
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Preparation time: 12 minutes
Cooking time: 5 minutes
2. Put the noodles in boiling water, boil for about 5 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold running water.
3. Heat the oil in a wok, add the spring onions with the prawns, soy
sauce, wine and sugar and stir-fry for 1 minute. add the noodles to the
wok and mix well. cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the sesame oil.
<> Xiaoniu SuChu Hsu (¤p¤û) 1998 email@example.com