Email: ssitaram at cmu dot edu
**News**: Finalist for the Google Anita Borg 2013 Scholarship!
I work on Text to Speech systems and am advised by Prof. Alan W Black. My research interests include TTS (and speech and natural language processing in general) for low and medium resource languages. I have also recently worked on TTS for languages without an orthography.
Earlier, I did my Masters in Language Technologies with Prof. Jack Mostow , during which I worked on children's oral reading prosody.
Last summer, I interned with the amazing Technology for Emerging Markets group at Microsoft Research Bangalore, and worked on a Speech and graphics based system for farmers in rural Madhya Pradesh to access Digital Green videos.
The Gates Hillman Center and the Randy Pausch Memorial Bridge
Conference, workshop and journal papers
- 'Text to Speech in New Languages without a Standardized Orthography', Sunayana Sitaram , Gopala Anumanchipalli, Justin Chiu, Alok Parlikar and Alan Black, SSW 8 (2013), Barcelona, Spain.
- 'Bootstrapping Text-to-Speech for Speech Processing in Languages without an Orthography', Sunayana Sitaram, Sukhada Palkar, Yun-Nung Chen, Alok Parlikar and Alan W Black, ICASSP (2013), Vancouver, Canada
- 'A Hindi Speech Recognizer for an Agricultural Video Search Application', Kalika Bali, Sunayana Sitaram, Sebastien Cuendet, and Indrani Medhi, ACM Symposium on Computing for Development (ACM DEV), January 2013
- ''Mining data from Project LISTEN's Reading Tutor to analyze development of children's oral reading prosody', Sunayana Sitaram, Jack Mostow, FLAIRS 2012, Florida, Best Paper Award.
- 'What visual feedback should a reading tutor give children on their oral reading prosody?', Sunayana Sitaram, Jack Mostow, Yuanpeng Li, Anders Weinstein, David Yen, Joe Valeri, SLaTe, August 2011, Venice, Italy.
- 'Mining data from Project LISTEN's Reading Tutor to analyze development of children's oral reading prosody', Jack Mostow, Sunayana Sitaram, Society of Scientific Study of Reading, Florida, July 2011.
- 'Two Methods for Assessing Oral Reading Prosody', Minh Duong, Jack Mostow, Sunayana Sitaram, ACM Transactions on Speech and Language Processing (Special Issue on Speech and Language Processing of Children's Speech for Child-machine Interaction Applications), 7(4): 14:11-22.
- 'DA-IICT Cross Lingual and Multilingual Corpora for Speaker Recognition', Hemant Patil, Sunayana Sitaram, Esha Sharma, Proceedings of the International Conference on Advances in Pattern Recognition ICAPR-09, Kolkata, India, IEEE Computer Society.
Other publications and talks
- 'HospitalLine: A Spoken Dialog System for Hospitals', Sunayana Sitaram, technical poster at Grace Hopper Celebration for Women in Computing 2008, Colorado in October 2008.
- 'Font recognition for Indian Language Document Viewing', Sunayana Sitaram, Opportunities for Undergraduate Research in Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University, USA in October, 2007.
- 'Student Groups Networking + Integrating Ideas = Together We Can Make a Better World', Alicia Chong, Sunayana Sitaram, Aakriti Agarwal and Kate Tsoukalas, BOF session, Grace Hopper Celebration of Women in Computing 2008, Colorado, October 2008.