Room 7713, Gates Building,
Carnegie Mellon University
s <my last name> at cmu dot edu
Broadly, I am interested in theoretical problems related to the theme `Optimization Under Uncertainty'. More particularly, I am currently working on combinatorial optimization problems and my uncertainty models are inspired from areas such as Online & Approximation Algorithms, Stopping Theory, Learning Theory, Stochastic Modeling, and Algorithmic Game Theory.|
|I am a PhD student in the School of Computer Science at Carnegie Mellon University. I am advised by Prof Manuel Blum and Prof Anupam Gupta.
Before coming to CMU, I finished my masters under the supervision of Prof S. Keshav at the Cheriton School of Computer Science, University of Waterloo.
I obtained my undergraduate degree in computer science from the Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi.
I will be starting as a Research Instructor at Princeton/IAS in Fall 2018.
Fall 2018: IW Seminar on Algorithms under Uncertainty, Princeton.
- A. Gupta, H. Jiang, Z. Scully, and S. Singla. `The Markovian Price of Information'. Under Submission.
- E. Lee and S. Singla. `Optimal Online Contention Resolution Schemes via Ex-Ante Prophet Inequalities'. European Symposium on Algorithms (ESA), Track A, August 2018.
- S. Singla. `The Price of Information in Combinatorial Optimization'. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Jan 2018. (slides)
- S. Ehsani, M. Hajiaghayi, T. Kesselheim, and S. Singla. `Prophet Secretary for Combinatorial Auctions and Matroids'. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Jan 2018. (slides)
- E. Lee and S. Singla. `Maximum Matching in the Online Batch-Arrival Model'. Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (IPCO), June 2017. (video, slides)
- G. Guruganesh and S. Singla. `Online Matroid Intersection: Beating half for Random Arrival'. Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (IPCO), June 2017. (video, slides)
- A. Gupta, V. Nagarajan, and S. Singla. `Adaptivity Gaps for Stochastic Probing: Submodular and XOS Functions'. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Jan 2017. (video, slides)
- A. Rubinstein and S. Singla. `Combinatorial Prophet Inequalities'. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Jan 2017. (slides)
- S. Alamdari, P. Angelini, F. Barrera-Cruz, T. M. Chan, G. D. Lozzo, G. D. Battista, F. Frati, P. Haxell, A. Lubiw, M. Patrignani, V. Roselli, S. Singla, B. T. Wilkinson. `How to Morph Planar Graph Drawings'. SIAM Journal on Computing, 46 (2), Pg. 824-852, 2017. (Prelim. version in SODA, Jan 2013.)
- A. Gupta, V. Nagarajan, and S. Singla. `Algorithms and Adaptivity Gaps for Stochastic Probing'. ACM-SIAM Symposium on Discrete Algorithms (SODA), Jan 2016. (video, slides)
- J. Cheriyan, Z. Gao, K. Georgiou, and S. Singla. `On Integrality Ratios for Asymmetric TSP in the Sherali-Adams Hierarchy'. Mathematical Programming, Series A, Springer Berlin Heidelberg, ISSN 0025-5610, Pg. 1-29, 2016. (Prelim. version in ICALP, Track A, July 2013.)
- D. Berger, P. Gland, S. Singla, and F. Ciucu. `Exact Analysis of TTL Cache Networks'. IFIP Performance, Oct 2014. (slides)
(Best Paper Award)
- S. Singla, Y. Ghiassi-Farrokhfal, and S. Keshav. `Using Storage to Minimize Carbon Footprint of
Diesel Generators for Unreliable Grids'. IEEE Transactions on Sustainable Energy, Oct 2014.
- S. Singla, Y. Ghiassi-Farrokhfal, and S. Keshav. `Battery Provisioning and Scheduling for a Hybrid Battery-Diesel Generator System'. SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, 41(3), 2013.
- S. Singla and S. Keshav. `Demand Response through a Temperature Setpoint Market in Ontario'. IEEE SmartGridComm, Nov 2012.
- T. Carpenter, S. Singla, P. Azimzadeh, and S. Keshav. `The Impact of Electricity Pricing Schemes on Storage Integration In Ontario'. ACM e-Energy, May 2012.
|Other Works and Presentations|
- S. Singla. `Probing Algorithms for Combinatorial Optimization Under Uncertainty'. Princeton 2017, China Theory Week 2017, and MSR New England 2018. (slides)
- S. Singla. `Combinatorial Optimization Under Uncertainty: Probing and Stopping-Time Algorithms'. PhD Thesis Proposal, Carnegie Mellon University, Nov 2017. (slides)
- S. Singla. `On Using Storage and Genset for Mitigating Power Grid Failures'. M.Math Thesis, University of Waterloo, April 2013. (slides)
- S. Singla, A. Tiwari, and A. Tripathi. `On the Spum and the Integral Spum of Graphs'. Manuscript.
- S. Singla. `The School Bus and the Orienteering problem'. Course Project Report, CO754, Univ. Waterloo, Winter 2012.
- A. Garg, A. Goel, and S. Singla. `Steiner Trees and Steiner Forests' . B.Tech Thesis, IIT-Delhi, May 2011.
- A. Uppal, S. K. Gupta, and S. Singla. `Design and Implementation of a News Reader based on Social Networks'. Project Report, IIT-Delhi, May 2011.
- S. K. Gupta, S. Singla, A. Khandelwal, A. Tiwari, and Srilekha. `Exhaustive Verification of Weak Reconstruction for Self Complementary graphs'. Poster at ICM 2010's satellite conference, ICRTGC, Aug 2010.