- Senior Research Programmer
- CyLab Usable Privacy and Security Lab
- Office: CIC 2222F
- Phone: 8-9509
- Email: rmcguire [AT] cs (DOT) cmu (DOT) edu
- CV: PDF
As a Senior Research Programmer I design, implement, manage, and maintain software for the CUPS Lab at Carnegie Mellon University. I build systems to help study, assess, and mitigate privacy risks to consumers online. I'm interested in studying the privacy effects of online social networks, as well as how these networks can help develop open source software. Outside of work, I'm a council member for HackPittsburgh — Pittsburgh's local hackerspace — where I sometimes help teach classes and build electronics. I'm also interested in meeting and talking shop with other Pittsburgh developers and hobbyists, and am a big fan of events like DevHouse Pittsburgh.
- Privacy Finder - A privacy-aware search engine.
- HackPittsburgh - Pittsburgh's local hackerspace.
- Camura - A mobile photo sharing site to help keep up with friends.
- martymcguire at GitHub - My Open Source projects on GitHub.
- Creating with Code - My sometimes-updated blog about coding.
- CUPS Lab (Fall 2008 - Present) - Senior Research Programmer at Carnegie Mellon providing project management, software development, and systems support.
- StepGreen (Spring/Summer 2007, Summer 2008) - Master's Project at Carnegie Mellon with advisor Jennifer Mankoff. Software architect and developer for StepGreen.org, a social network for encouraging green behavior.
- RADAR (Summer 2004 - Fall 2008) - Research Programmer at Carnegie Mellon developing database-backed workflow systems that learn.
- PARC (Summer 2003) - Intern building a dial-in shared audio space.
- George Tech Contextual Computing Group (Spring 2001 - Fall 2004) - Undergraduate Researcher studing wearable computing.
- 2005 - 2008 - Master of Science in Information Technology specializing in Very Large Information Systems (MSIT-VLIS) at Carnegie Mellon University.
- 1999 - 2003 - Bachelor of Science in Computer Science at Georgia Institute of Technology.
- Jennifer Mankoff, Susan R. Fussell, Tawanna Dillahunt, Rachel Glaves, Catherine Grevet, Michael Johnson, Deanna Matthews, H. Scott Matthews, Robert McGuire, Robert Thompson, Aubrey Shick, Leslie Setlock. 2010. StepGreen.org: Increasing Energy Saving Behaviors via Social Networks In Proceedings of the Fourth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (Washington, DC, USA, May 23 - 26, 2010). ICWSM 2010.
- Zimmerman, J., Tomasic, A., Simmons, I., Hargraves, I., Mohnkern, K., Cornwell, J., and McGuire, R. M. 2007. Vio: a mixed-initiative approach to learning and automating procedural update tasks. In Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (San Jose, California, USA, April 28 - May 03, 2007). CHI 2007.
- James, R., Kim, W. T., McDonald, A. M., and McGuire, R. 2007. A usability evaluation of a home monitoring system. In Proceedings of the 3rd Symposium on Usable Privacy and Security (Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, July 18 - 20, 2007). SOUPS 2007, vol. 229.
- Anthony Tomasic, R. Martin McGuire, Brad Myers, 2006. Workflow By Example: Automating Database Interactions via Induction. Carnegie Mellon University Technical Report Nr. CMU-ISRI-06-103.
- Starner, T. E., Snoeck, C. M., Wong, B. A., and McGuire, R. M. 2004. Use of mobile appointment scheduling devices. In CHI 2004 Extended Abstracts on Human Factors in Computing Systems (Vienna, Austria, April 24 - 29, 2004). CHI 2004.
- R. Martin McGuire, Jose L. Hernandez-Rebollar, Thad Starner, Valerie L. Henderson, Helene Brashear, Danielle S. Ross: Towards a One-Way American Sign Language Translator. FGR 2004: 620-625.
- Frank Dellaert, Tucker R. Balch, Michael Kaess, Ram Ravichandran, Fernando Alegre, Marc Berhault, Robert McGuire, Ernest Merrill, Lilia V. Moshkina, Daniel Walker: The Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets: A Marsupial Team for Urban Search and Rescue. AAAI Mobile Robot Competition 2002: 44-49.