After some discussion, Tom 7 and
I came to the conclusion that portmanteau is the
highest form of humor. Therefore I have decided, for posterity's sake,
to keep track of all the humorous, semi-humorous, groan-worthy, and
downright insulting portmanteaus that I have come up with. These words
are followed by a brief description, and I have attempted to categorize
- Crapplication = Crap + Application - An
application that doesn't work so well. E.g., "What are you using? GIMP?!
I can't stand that crapplication."
- Craptice = Crap + Practice - To practice poorly.
E.g., "This afternoon I am giving a craptice talk."
- Smotherly = Smother + Motherly - To be overbearing in a way that only a
mother would think is appropriate.
- Rainbro = Rainbow + Bro - This word comes from a long line of
"bro" related portmanteaus (see, e.g., "bromance"). Two bros sharing the
- Brotocol = Bro + Protocol - The strict protocol
followed by bros. E.g., "Dude, you can't date my ex! That is a serious
breach of brotocol."
- Abstractory = Abstract + Factory - An Abstract Factory, a particular
design pattern in computer science.