Course Research Guide
15-391 / 95-822:
Technology Consulting in the Community
- Industry Overview
- Finding Technology Solutions
- Databases (for articles)
- Finding Full-Text Resources
- Citing Resources in the Sciences
- Research Guides
Working from home? Use the campus VPN options for databases and resources marked Carnegie Mellon users only.
As you use each source, look for citations in bibliographies and footnotes that will lead you to other sources.
Business & Company Resource Center
Contains company profiles, brand information, rankings, market share, investment reports, company histories. This database contains articles that don�t appear anywhere else, so it is useful despite its difficulties.
- Choose Articles search, and then change subject guide to keyword.
- This is not a search-friendly database, so the only way to use it is to experiment with keyword combinations. (You�ll get more ideas about the best keywords as you read articles that are on target.)
- If you click on the Industry or Company buttons, you can get industry and company reports.When you see tabs at the top of the page, they are worth investigating - they will lead to more data.
A gigantic complex database covering thousands of trade and news publications from all over the world. Also covers legal, biographical, and company information.
- Long way: click on Power Search, and in the Sources box, select News, All. Look down to specify your date � you�ll probably just want the last year or two. Click on Add keywords (Index Terms) to your search... There you�ll locate a few terms that you want to combine, and click on OK � Add to search for each one. Change the connectors in the search box to AND and check off Relevancy � major terms only. Then search.
- Short way: click on Power Search, and in the Sources box, select News, All. Then use combinations of keywords until you find what you like. At that point you can look at the bottom of the article to see what its major subject terms are. Then you can go back and do the search the long way using those terms.
- Another way to learn about this: view the tutorials listed on the left side of the main page.
- NOTE: you can restrict output to Industry Trade Press on the left, if desired.
Find industry leaders, statistics, current status, future trends, histories and profiles of the industries.
Finding Technology Solutions
- Gartner Core Research
This tool provides studies on a highly detailed range of technology products and services. Our CMU subscription includes reports primarily aimed at technology users, dealing with every stage of the technology life cycle�from vendor selection to ongoing maintenance.
NOTE: "Dataquest" and some other well-known Gartner reports are NOT part of the current subscription.
TIP: Do a Browse search, which defaults to Research You Own, and your results will be (mostly) just the Gartner reports available at CMU.
Databases (for articles)
Here are some addition databases to use to find articles, conference proceedings, book chapters, technical reports, etc.
Finding Full-Text Resources
Remember that if you're searching in a database, look for the Get It icon for items that interest you.
When trying to confirm if we subscribe to certain journal or conference titles, check both of these locations:
Citing Resources in the Sciences
There are many citations styles to choose from on this site:
APA style is quite popular. Here are a few good sites for APA:
- Citing sources in your document (In-Text Citations)
- Citing sources at the end of your document (Reference List / Bibliography)
Missy Harvey, Computer Science Librarian, email@example.com