From: owner-support@dieboldes.com [mailto:owner-support@dieboldes.com] On Behalf Of Ken
Sent: December 13, 2002 12:06 PM
To: support@dieboldes.com
Subject: RE: Maryland Article

I'd like to hear Sue's take on that as well, but your question is at least partially answered by the next sentence.  "Most of those problems, the study reported, involved card readers used to activate the machines".  I've always considered the card readers the weakest link in our system, myself.

I would like to see their data which shows that one-third of voters not having college education needed assistance from poll workers.  I don't necessarily doubt this, depending on how "assistance" is defined and what questions the exit pollers asked and how they were asked.  It sure does sound high though.  It would be incredibly valuable to know the "top five" issues the voters needed help with.  It would also be interesting to see comparative stats.  For all I know one-third of non-college graduates require assistance with paper ballot.

Sue, if you can get a copy of the actual UoM study and post that, it might make an interesting read.  Getting the Washington Post filtered prospective probably doesn't do the study justice.  In particular, most of the reporter's conclusions regarding the 3% were illogical.