RE: GEMS - Multi language ballot printing

Oops, that was meant to go out to Rob, Tari, and Steve only, but I guess everyone is welcome to play along.  Sorry ‘bout that.

From: Ken Clark [mailto:ken@dieboldes.com]
Sent:
Saturday, August 31, 2002 9:00 PM
To: 'support@dieboldes.com'
Subject: RE: GEMS - Multi language ballot printing

Okay boys and girls, here is a first cut at multi-language paper ballots.  Never let it be said that I didn’t deliver this by the end of August :-).  The release is 1.18.13.2.  I haven’t actually done the code to print all artwork to file, but you can view, proof, and print ballots in the ballot/card editor window.  There is a new combo-box in the editor so you can select which language you are viewing for the current card.

The ballot editor will allow you to see if the secondary languages are squishing unreasonably.  If they are, then tweak your

English and regenerate to make more space.  Please let me know right away if this process becomes time-consuming.  I can without too much effort change the algorithm to generate for the worst-case language instead of the default language, but I am worried about killing ballot generation performance.  I would rather add a check box to the language dialog to allow the user to define which language to generate for, but I can’t do that in 1.18 because there is no place to save the choice in the current database schema.

Doing the “print artwork” stuff will only take a few hours to do, but I wanted to get something in your hands now.  If I broke something, I will have broken it in this release.  As should go without saying, please be extra-careful with your proofing.  If one or all of you can volunteer your real databases to play with, it would be appreciated.  I am going to ask Ravina to do some testing as well.  So far I have only played with trivial toy databases when doing development on this.