From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of
Ken Clark
Sent: Tuesday, August 13, 2002 1:15 PM
To: support@dieboldes.com
Subject: RE: Voter Access Cards/Spyrus encoder

You are correct this was an issue that came up in the past, but as you
point out you are running 1.1.3, and I have not heard of the problem
before with this release.  The problem is that the old-format manager
cards can be easily misinterpreted by both the ballot station and voter
card encoder.

The problem won't be with the Spyrus units themselves, so don't worry
about the serial numbers in this case.  You could send me the cards, but
if I look at them I am sure I'll just see what you see.  Best thing you
can do at this point is "monitor the situation" and see if you can find
any pattern as to what is happening.  Previously the problem was that
"virgin cards" right out of the factory were misinterpreted as
old-format manager cards.  Does it happen with all cards you got from
"Atlanta warehouse", or just some of them?

What I would really like to do is just drop support for the old cards so
this can never happen, but there are so many of the old cards in
circulation.  I think we need to consider doing this, even if it causes
some discomfort to users who have not already upgraded their manager
cards in the field.  (They would have to order new supervisor cards from
McKinney).