blanking Spyrus accidently with supervisor card

[this is worthy of a support post]

Yes, it was at the forefront of my thoughts when I designed it like that.  The hope is that poll workers are not morons with the supervisor (aka manager) card – they can do all kinds of unpleasant things with it.  This goes directly to the point of needing a resume counting button on the AVTS.  The solution to this problem it looks like we are going to go with on the AVTS is to have a PIN that poll workers are not told to get to the really messy functions.

This works in principle with the Spyrus, except that I can’t think of many clean ways of setting the PIN onto the Spyrus.  We could make setting the PIN a supervisor function, but something tells me folks will just leave it as 0000 if that is the solution.  There is also the matter of what to do if they forget the password.  Even taking out the battery won’t clear the nonvolatile memory on these things.  I could put in a back door, but then everyone will just use the back door.

If there is a good solution to all this that doesn’t involve inventing new magic smart card that is actually a supervisor card by any other name, I am all ears.