CALIF. AVTS Certification Questions needing Answers

The following 10 questions came up yesterday in certification and we did not know the answers.  1-8 are things we need specific answers to.  9 and 10 simply require some response.  I think most of these are Ken or Tab questions.

Item 1: NEL/TAB/Ken RECALL: We didn't have a recall race programmed for our certification yesterday.  So we need to describe what we do.

California recall law states that the question is presented to the voter in Yes No format.  Then whether they vote YES or NO, they then vote on the candidates that follow.  Please describe how our recall works.  Can you give me a screen to show the first and second questions.

Example:
Do you want to recall Steve Knecht for Novato City Council?
YES
NO
The following candidates have filed for office:
Vote for 1
Dana LaTour
Frank Kaplan

Item 2.  Nel/Ken AUDIT LOGS: We entered a challenged voter and accepted it on BS 4.1.2, then went to the Audit Log and it didn't show this activity.  This raised the following question:
  • Are there different logs on the AVTS or just one?  There seemed to be an accumulate/transer log as well as an activity log as I recall.  Please describe what audit trails reside on the ballot station.
  • Is it an oversite that we don't do the challenged voter on the log?
Item 3.  Ken/Tab RETENTION: Explain how we meet the federal, 22-month election retention requirements.  Are all logs (if there are more than 1) sent to GEMS where they can be backed up and stored on tape or diskette?  Whatever logs there are have to be retained for the 22 months period.  How do we accomplish this?

Item 4.  Ken MAGNIFICATION: What is the percentage increase of the font for magnification (i.e., 20%,
30% ,50%).

Item 5. Ken CE ACCESS:  Provide a definitive answer to the question whether a poll worker,
voter, or other unauthorized persons could in any way gain access to CE.  Yesterday you implied that it is a function of a "flag" or something in CE which is loaded onto the Motherboard.  Is this the case?  If so, then please
Explain the meaning and use of the "Enable Taskbar" function in the Supervisor Menu.

Item 6 Ken BALLOT RANDOMIZING: Naegle wants to know how we "randomize" the ballots when we store them.  We weren't clear how the ballot serial number or Seq. Nos. related to this.  Naegle wants teh "algorithm" for randomizing the ballots.

Item 7. Ken  CE SIZE: How many "bytes" does the CE operating system take up?

Item 8 Ken BS Software Size: Naegle wants to know "how many lines of Code" the ballot station software is.  (Roughly)

Item 9: Ken RCR to Return to Summary Screen:  Our present summary screen allows voter to touch a race and go to that page.  Is there an RCR to return directly back to the summary page somehow (new button or whatever)?

Item 10 Ken/Tab Software Design Doc - I think I know the answer to this, but..... Is there a software design document that was used to develop this software?
Steve Knecht
Global Election Systems
415-893-9941 office   415-893-9951 fax
415-225-6591 cell