RE: Downloading to R-6 unit using TSText 1.18.5 & GEMS 1.17.5 - very slow

See attached.  If you don't care about VIBS, roll back to a pre-VIBS TSText.  We are working on a more general solution to this, but that will take some time.

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Jeff Hintz
Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 1:18 PM
To: Support Team (E-mail)
Subject: Downloading to R-6 unit using TSText 1.18.5 & GEMS 1.17.5 - very slow

I have upgraded to TSText 1.18.5, I am downloading to a R-6 unit using GEMS 1.17.4, and it is extremely slow in doing the download.  Is this to be expected, or should it go faster???  Will it go faster if I use GEMS 1.18???

JEFF HINTZ
Global Election Systems

--- Begin Message ---
Its worth mentioning that downloading 4.x VIBS databases via the serial port is unbearably slow.  This will get a bit better once we support mp3, but for all but the most trivial databases the serial port is still going to be too slow.  Until we come up with some product solution to this problem, the work around we are using up here is to download over loopback using a notebook computer to a card in the notebook's PCMCIA slot.  You can also try using a PCMCIA network card in R6.  You'll need to set up the card in control panel -> network, and then use Windows\flush.exe to write the configuration to permenant storage.

Just want to save folks the trouble of sitting in front of their R6 waiting for Godot.  It doesn't work.

Ken

--- End Message ---