RE: Manual Entry in Gems

I'll go out on a limb and declare Bill as mistaken.  GEMS has never done that AFAIK.

As for should/can it do this...  All comes down to "how" as usual.  It only makes sense in general to have times counted = cards cast when (1) no multicard ballots (2) not a closed primary (3) no splits.  There is also the problem of the "check" number.  Right now manual entry keeps every race in check as they are entered.  If you set up times counted and nothing else, then they are out of check.

If Bill or anyone else wants to define a behavior here that makes sense for everyone, it probably wouldn't be too hard to code up.  I suspect its probably going to be hard to define cleanly though.

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Jeff Hintz
Sent: Monday, March 05, 2001 12:09 PM
To: Support Team (E-mail)
Subject: Manual Entry in Gems

Bill Bowers from GBS has a customer that says in an older version of Gems, when you put in the number of Times Counted under the Cards tab, that when you go to the Race tab, the Times Counted field for each race will already have that number that you entered under the Cards tab.  In the current version that the customer has, this does not happen.  I tried several older versions and also 1.17.7.5, and the Times Counted number under the Cards tab does not carry over to the Times Counted number under the Race tab for all races.  Should it or can it do this???  I am waiting to find out from Bill which versions the customer is or was using.

Thanks,

Jeff Hintz
Global Election Systems