RE: New AVTS units - Card reader questions

It has nothing to do with the bps:  we only transmit a few bytes.  It is votercard.dll that is fundamentally broken.

From: owner-support@gesn.com [mailto:owner-support@gesn.com]On Behalf Of Ian S. Piper
Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 3:43 PM
To: support@gesn.com
Subject: RE: New AVTS units - Card reader questions

I've discussed reading/writing issues with Cardlogix (smart card vendor) last week during my visit to their office.  Apparently we communicate with the card reader at it's default baud rate (9600 baud), when the readers are capable of communicating at 38400 baud.  Using this higher communication rate would increase the speed of writing to/reading from the card.

Also:
Could there be an efficiency issue with our voter card/card reader recognition software?

Do we need to wait until the CAST button is touched before writing to the card?

Could it be done at the beginning as opposed to the end?

I understand that doing it at the beginning was tried, but due to the length of time to write to the card, the first ballot image was delayed for so long.  With increased communication speeds, could this now be a viable option?

Also, if the card monitoring software responded quickly to card removals and allowed reinsertion, in conjunction with the increased communication speeds, could it not still be left at the end of the process?

Ian