Accurate Data Collection

Customer Support Bulletin

I wanted to take this opportunity before Tuesday's elections to give you some tools for collecting data on election day problems.  Some of you may already be aware of these tips but others perhaps are not.  We need to collect accurate data from whatever problems occur in the field to properly diagnose and solve those problems.  Use the following tips to help in gathering that data more accurately.
  1. The report from a pollworker saying "the AccuVote stopped taking ballots" is too vague for fault diagnosis.  When you're talking to a pollworker over the phone or on-site yourself, use the following nomenclature to describe the problem on your written report:
  2. If there is "No Ballot Movement" (i.e., the AccuVote appears to be hung-up), before turning off the AccuVote and restarting it, perform this procedure to help determine which AccuVote subsystem is the cause of the fault.  This is only useful with Firmware versions of PC 1.94p or higher and PC 1.94f< or higher.
  3. Always record the serial number of the unit that experienced the problem, the precinct that was using that unit, and any other useful information that can be recorded (e.g., time of day, number of ballots counted, etc.).

I thank you in advance for your help in our product development.

Sincerely,

Ian S. Piper
Manufacturing Manager
Global Election Systems, Inc.