RE: REPORT: Adams County Nov 99

This is an excellent report Guy.

 1) REPORT RESULTS BY CARD ID.

At first I assumed that what they would really want would be breakdowns by city but in fact they would also like to report on statewide questions by school district.  As long as each city and school district has races in the election, being able to report by card would be ideal.  This of course would mean keeping separate counters for each card.

This is a complex topic.  Let's revisit it in a couple of weeks after we have more v2 design banged out.

They key here is that they wanted to report by school district, and that their cards were unique to city/school district.  Careful with the "of course" in the last sentence.  They didn't need a separate counter for each card.  They needed a separate counter for each city/school district combination.

 2) PRECINCTS REPORTING DOESN'T APPLY TO MAIL-IN ELECTIONS

Both the Precinct Summary Reports and the JResult reports showed 100% of precincts reporting after the first upload.  Precincts reporting is both meaningless and misleading and we had the media reporting that all results were in after the first upload.  We need to not show these for this type of election.

Yeah, this has been brought up before.  We need some more options for "precinct reporting".  We should support vcenters reporting, and add a switch to turn it all off.

Note that there is a checkbox "use polling place counters for precincts reporting" that is handy for the more common case where you have polling vcenters uploading.

3) GEMS SHOULD WARN USER IF VOTE CENTER CONTAINS NO DATA

Either that or the AccuVote should be fixed so that it doesn't give an out of sync.

4) SUPPORT STYLE SHEETS ON HTML REPORTS

JResults is beautiful and compared to that the HTML reports look rather plain.

We'll see what we can do to make the HTML reports a less plain.  A waving flag perhaps?

1) REPORTING PERCENTAGE OF CARDS CAST

Getting the number of registered voters from LEDS (their voter registration system) by precinct portion in order to properly report percentage of cards cast was a non-trivial task.  For a mail-in only election, it would have been more straightforward to have been able to just enter the number of cards issued.

If I understand correctly, you want to enter voter registration by card.  This is a related topic to reporting by cards cast.  Give me a couple of weeks.

That notwithstanding, they should talk to their LEDS people about making their base precinct registration numbers more trivial to extract.

2) UNIDENTIFIED CARD/PRECINCT COMBINATIONS

The LEDS system reported a number of card/precinct combinations that were not defined in GEMS.

I can't really comment on this.  Either LEDS or GEMS was wrong.  Which was it?

3) THE JRESULTS USER INTERFACES NEED A LOT OF WORK

a) Exporting results to floppy for display via a remote laptop.

Ideally there would be an export button on the JResult server that would write updated files directly.

Mike Brown has a recent RCR on this topic.

b) Starting a JResult client seems like magic.

Its not magic if you understand Microsoft URLs.  Of course, that shouldn't be a prerequisite for running JResults.

c) A Browse Option On The JResult Client Open File Window

I think Mike has done this.

Ken