I am a Ph.D. candidate in the Computer Science Department at Carnegie Mellon University, and I expect to graduate in the spring of 2017. I am advised by Vyas Sekar and Hui Zhang. Before CMU, I received Bachelor in Computer Science from Yao Class at Tsinghua in 2011.
My research interests include computer networks, distributed systems, big data, and cloud computing.
The theme of my thesis work is to optimize Internet performance by big data techniques.
Motivation: Today’s Internet is an "eyeball economy" dominated by applications such as video streaming (e.g., Netflix counts for 37% of Internet traffic) and VoIP (e.g., Skype users spend over 2 billion minutes talking to each other every day). With these applications relying on user engagement to generate revenues, it is crucial to maintain high user-perceived Quality of Experience (QoE) for these applications.
Approach: My dissertation demonstrates that data-driven techniques can improve Internet QoE by utilizing a centralized real-time view of performance across millions of endpoints (clients). There are three key pieces in my thesis:
Improving QoE via Expressive Prediction Models
[NSDI '16] "CFA: A Practical Prediction System for Video Quality Optimization" J. Jiang, V. Sekar, H. Milner, D. Shepherd, I. Stoica, H. Zhang
Improving QoE in the Face of Large Decision Spaces
[SIGCOMM '16] "VIA: Improving Internet Telephony Call Quality Using Predictive Relay Selection" J. Jiang, R. Das, G. Anathanarayanan, P. Chou, V. Padmanabhan, V. Sekar, E. Dominique, M. Goliszewski, D. Kukoleca, R. Vafin, H. Zhang
Improving QoE via Exploration and Exploitation at Scale
[NSDI '17] "Pytheas: Enabling Data-Driven Quality of Experience Optimization Using Group-Based Exploration-Exploitation" J. Jiang, S. Sun, V. Sekar, H. Zhang
Impact: CFA and VIA have been used in industry by Conviva and Skype, companies that specialize in QoE optimization for video streaming and VoIP, respectively.
A complete list of my publications can be found in CV.
- Junchen Jiang, Rajdeep Das, Ganesh Anathanarayanan, Philip A. Chou, Venkata Padmanabhan, Vyas Sekar, Esbjorn Dominique, Marcin Goliszewski, Dalibor Kukoleca, Renat Vafin, Hui Zhang.
Via: Improving Internet Telephony Call Quality Using Predictive Relay Selection
SIGCOMM 2016 [PDF][Slides]
- Yi Sun, Xiaoqi Yin, Junchen Jiang, Vyas Sekar, Fuyuan Lin, Nanshu Wang, Tao Liu, Bruno Sinopoli.
CS2P: Improving Video Bitrate Selection and Adaptation with Data-Driven Throughput Prediction.
SIGCOMM 2016 [PDF]
- Junchen Jiang, Vyas Sekar, Henry Milner, David Shepherd, Ion Stoica, Hui Zhang.
CFA: A Practical Prediction System for Video Quality Optimization.
NSDI 2016 [PDF][Slides]
- Matthew K. Mukerjee, David Naylor, Junchen Jiang, Dongsu Han, Srinivasan Seshan, Hui Zhang.
Practical, Real-time Centralized Control for CDN-based Live Video Delivery.
SIGCOMM 2015 [PDF]
- Aditya Ganjam, Junchen Jiang, Xi Liu, Vyas Sekar, Faisal Siddiqui, Ion Stoica, Jibin Zhan, Hui Zhang.
C3: Internet-Scale Control Plane for Video Quality Optimization.
NSDI 2015 [PDF]
- Junchen Jiang, Vyas Sekar, Hui Zhang.
Improving Fairness, Efficiency, and Stability in HTTP-based Adaptive Video Streaming with FESTIVE.
CoNEXT 2012 [PDF][Slides]Best Paper Runner-up, Fast-tracked to IEEE/ACM Transaction on Networking
- Xi Liu, Florin Dobrian, Henry Milner, Junchen Jiang, Vyas Sekar, Ion Stoica, Hui Zhang.
A Case for a Coordinated Internet-Scale Video Control Plane.
SIGCOMM 2012 [PDF]
- Junchen Jiang, Hongji Bao, Edward Y. Chang, Yuqian Li.
MOIST: A Scalable and Parallel Moving Object Indexer with School Tracking.
VLDB 2012 [PDF]