- An architecture and interaction techniques for handling ambiguity in recognition-based
Commitee Gregory D. Abowd (Advisor), Scott E.
Hudson, Elizabeth D. Mynatt, Mark Guzdial, Thomas Moran
IIC: Information in Context.
Undergraduate Honors Thesis.
Jennifer Mankoff. Oberlin College.
Advisor: Professor Rhys Price Jones.
- Jennifer Mankoff and Anind K. Dey, "From Conception to Design: A
practical guide to designing ambient displays," In Public and Situated Displays, K. O'Hara et al., eds. Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- T. Dillahunt & J. Mankoff, Social Sharing and Engagement Around Community Energy Monitoring. BECC 2012 Lightning Presentation
- K. Waldman; advised by K. Kuksenok and J. Mankoff, Use of Internet resources by individuals with Lyme Disease. RESNA 2010.
- V. Hanson, L. Gibson, J. Mankoff, S. Kiesler, J. Richards, Grass Roots Distributed Healthcare. Panel presentation for Grand Challenges in Computing Research 2010, April, 2010
- J. Mankoff, S. Kiesler, K. Kuksenok, and K. Waldman, Uncertainty in chronic illness and patients' online experiences, In Proceedings of WISH'10
- T. Dillahunt, J. Mankoff, J. Forlizi, A proposed framework for assessing environmental sustainability in the HCI community. Presented at the workshop on Examining Appropriation, Re-Use, and Maintenance of Sustainability, CHI '10
- K. Rector, with J. Mankoff and S. Hudson, Prototyping custom devices using infrared communication, Grace Hopper Celebration 2009, poster session from DREU.
- K. Kuksenok, K. Waldman, J. Mankoff, S. Kiesler, and M.A. Sevick, Conflict and care: how conflict affects individuals with chronic illness, Grace Hopper Celebration 2009, Technical Poster
- K. Kuksenok, J. Mankoff, End-user moderation of cognitive accessibility in online communities: Case study of brain fog in the Lyme community. In Proceedings of ASSETS 2009, pp. 233-234.
- J. Mankoff, J. Teevan, B. Bederson, G. D. Abowd. Organized Invited Discussion: Real Life and Real Work: Real Experiences Negotiating the Competing Needs of Illness, Disability, Children, and Work. CHI 2009
- E. Blevis, E. M. Huang, J. Mankoff, L. P. Nathan, B. Tomlinson. Workshop on: Defining the role of HCI in the challenges of sustainability. CHI 2009.
- T. Dillahunt, G. Becker, J. Mankoff, R. Kraut. Motivating environmentally sustainable behavior changes with a virtual polar bear. Presented at the workshop on Pervasive Persuasive Technology and Environmental Sustainability, Pervasive'08.
- Froehlich, J., Consolvo, S., Dillahunt, T., Harrison, B., Klasnja, P., Mankoff, J., Landay, J. UbiGreen: Using Mobile Phones as a Persuasive Technology to Affect Daily Transportation Practices. Abstract accepted for presentation at Behavior, Energy and Climate Change, November, 2008.
- J. Hasbrouck, T. Igoe, J. Mankoff and A. Woodruff. Ubiquitous Sustainability: Technologies for Green Values Workshop, Proc. Ubicomp 2007, pp. 567-568. (workshop website)
- J. Mankoff, E. Blevis, A. Borning, B. Friedman, S. R. Fussell, J. Hasbrouck, A. Woodruff and P. Sengers. SIG: Environmental sustainability and interaction. CHI 2007 SIG, Extended Abstracts of CHI 2007. pp. 2121-2124
- J. Mankoff. Case study of Service-Learning for HCI: Practical guidelines for successful integration. Experience Report, Extended abstracts of CHI 2006. pp. 201-206. (pdf)
- J. Mankoff. Applying ethics to the practice, research, and teaching of Human Computer Interaction. Presented at the CHI 2006 workshop on Reflective HCI: Articulating a Research Agenda for Critical Practice Montreal, CA, April, 2006.
S. Davidoff, C. Bloomberg, I. A. R. Li, J. Mankoff and S. R. Fussell. The book as user interface: lowering the entry cost to email for elders. Extended Abstracts of CHI 2005 (Poster). pp. 1331-1334. (ACM DOI)
- S. Davidoff, S. Carter and
J. Mankoff. Can Early-Stage Tools and Techniques for Iterative
Design Help Researchers Understand a Problem Space? Presented at the
Pervasive 2005 UbiApp Workshop ("What makes for good
application-led research in ubiquitous computing"). Munich,
Germany, May 2005.
- Jennifer Mankoff and Scott Carter. "Crossing Qualitative and Quantitative Evaluation in the Domain of Ubiquitous Computing." Presented at the CHI 2005 Workshop on Usage Analysis: Combining logging and qualitative methods. Portland, OR, April 2005.
Tara Matthews and Jennifer Mankoff, "A Toolkit for Evaluating Peripheral Awareness." Presented at the CHI 2005 Workshop on Awareness Systems. Portland, OR, April 2005.
Scott Lederer, Jennifer Mankoff, Anind K. Dey, Towards a Deconstruction of the
Privacy Space. Presented at the UBICOMP 2003 Workshop on Ubicomp
Communities: Privacy as Boundary Negotiation, October 12, 2003.
Morgan Ames, Chinmayi Bettadapur, Anind K. Dey and
Jennifer Mankoff, "Healthy Cities Ambient Displays," Student poster and
extended abstract, Ubicomp 2003.
- C. Newman, M. Bauer, J. Mankoff and A. Agogino.
Perceptions of the Design Process. An Examination of Gendered
Aspects of New Product Development}. Presented at the Mudd
Design Workshop IV, ``Designing Engineering Education.'' 10-12
Dey, A.K., Mankoff, J.
Applying Heuristic Evaluation to Ambient Displays.
Workshop paper CHI 2003 workshop on Providing Elegant Peripheral Awareness
- Dey, A.K., Mankoff, J.
"Evaluation of Ambient Displays"
Presented at the Workshop on Design and Evaluation of
Notification Displays at Ubicomp 2002, September 29, 2002.
- Lederer, S., Dey, A. K., Mankoff, J.
Everyday Privacy in Ubiquitous Computing Environments.
Presented at the UBICOMP 2002 Workshop
Socially-informed Design of Privacy-enhancing Solutions in Ubiquitous Computing, September 29, 2002.
Jason Hong, James Landay, A. Chris Long, Jennifer Mankoff.
Sketch Recognizers from the Designer's and Programmer's Perspective.
AAAI Symposium on sketch understanding
- Invited Panelist, Augmenting Home and Office Environments. Third International Conference on Assistive Technologies (ASSETS)
. April 15-17, 1998. pp. 169-172. (ACM DOI)
- Participated in Workshop on Designing the user interface for
pen and speech multimedia applications. In Proceedings of CHI
Conference Companion. p. 176. May, 1999.
- Mankoff, J., Somers, J. and Abowd, G. D.
Bringing People and Places Together. In Papers from the AAAI Spring Symposium on Intelligent
Environments. Technical Report SS-98-02, pp. 168-172, March 1998.
- Panel Seamless Augmented Environments on the Scale of a
Building, a Room and a Desk Panel on Augmenting Home and Office
Environments. Third International Conference on Assistive
(ASSETS). 1998. pp. 169-172. (ACM DOI)
Dillahunt, T. and Mankoff, J. (2012). Design implications for social-energy applications. Technical Report CMU-HCII-12-100, Carnegie Mellon, February 2012. (pdf)
S. Carter and J. Mankoff. "Momento: Early Stage Prototyping and Evaluation for Mobile Applications" Technical Report UCB-CSD-05-1380, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, April, 2005.
Scott Carter and J. Mankoff "Challenges for Ubicomp Evaluation." Technical Report UCB-CSD-04-1331, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, 2004.
G. Hsieh and J. Mankoff. "A Comparison of Two Peripheral Displays for
Monitoring Email: Measuring Usability, Awareness, and Distraction"
Technical Report UCB-CSD-03-1286, Computer Science Division,
University of California, Berkeley, October, 2003.
Lederer, S., Hong, J.I., Jiang, X., Dey, A.K., Landay, J.A., Mankoff, J.
Towards Everyday Privacy for Ubiquitous Computing. Technical Report
UCB-CSD-03-1283, Computer Science Division, University of California,
Berkeley, October 20, 2003. (pdf)
- Lederer, S., Mankoff, J. and Dey, A. K.
Managing personal information disclosure in ubiquitous computing environments
Technical Report UCB-CSD-03-1257 and IRB-TR-03-015, Computer Science
Division, UC Berkeley and Intel Research Berkeley, July, 2003.
- T. Matthews, T. Rattenbury,
S. Carter, A. K. Dey, and J. Mankoff. A Peripheral Display Toolkit.
Technical Report UCB-CSD-03-1258 and IRB-TR-03-018, Computer Science
Division, UC Berkeley and Intel Research Berkeley, July, 2003.
- Fait, H. and Mankoff, J. EASE: A
Simulation Tool for Accessible Design. Technical Report
UCB-CS-03-1260, Computer Science Division, UC Berkeley, July, 2003
- Carter, S., Mankoff, J. and Goddi, P.
hebb: An Infrastructure for Conveying Shared Interests.
UCB-CS-03-1259, Computer Science Division, UC Berkeley, July, 2003
- Lederer, S., Dey, A. K. and Mankoff, J.
"A Conceptual Model and a Metaphor of Everyday
Privacy in Ubiquitous Computing Environments."
Technical Report UCB-CSD-02-1188, Computer Science Division, University of California, Berkeley, July 30, 2002.
- Mankoff, J., Rowan, J., Mynatt, E. D., McJunkin, M.
and S.E. Hudson. Ten inch pixels: ambient art for
remote awareness. GIT GVU-Technical Report
- Dey, A. K., Mankoff, J. and Abowd, G. D.
Distributed mediation of imperfectly sensed context in aware
environments. GVU Technical report GIT-GVU-00-14
- Mankoff, J., Abowd, G. D. and Hudson, S.
Interacting with Multiple Alternatives Generated by Recognition
GIT GVU-Techreport #GIT-GVU-99-26
- Mankoff, J. and Abowd, G. D.
Error Correction Techniques for Handwriting, Speech, and other
ambiguous or error prone systems.
GVU TechReport GIT-GVU-99-18. June 1999.
J. Mankoff and G.D. Abowd.
Domisilica: Providing Ubiquitous Access to the Home,
Georgia Tech GVU Center, Technical Report GIT-GVU-97-17, May 1997.
- 8/09 J. Mankoff (3 years, $492,000), "Helping People Negotiate Uncertain Information Online" More information
- 8/08 J. Mankoff, S. Fussell and H. S. Matthews, NSF Medium (3 years $450,000), "StepGreen: Mobilizing social networks and context awareness to motivate reduced energy consumption" More information
- 1/07 J. Mankoff, S. Fussel, D. Matthews and M. Johnson, Intel Research (3 years, $263,000), "Leveraging computational technologies to support behavior change"
- 1/08 J. Mankoff, S. Fusselll, D. Matthews, Google Research Grant (1 year, $60,000), "Energy reduction through personalized suggestions on social networks"
9/02 Co-PI, NSF ITR (5 years, $2.3 million), "Human-Centered Design of
Context-Aware Computing: Scalability, Usability, and Privacy" Abstract (pdf)
- 9/02 PI, NSF grant (3 years, ~$240,000) "Web
Accessibility for Low Bandwidth Input" Abstract (pdf)
- 1/03 HP Research (1 semester, ~$17,000), "Group awareness
support" With Scott Carter.
9/03 MICRO award (1 year, $44,000) "Early-stage evaluation of
Ubiquitous Computing Applications" Abstract (pdf)
9/03 Co-PI, NSF ITR (5 years, $2.6 mill) "A Scalable Enabling IT
Infrastructure for Developing Countries" Abstract (pdf)