Microsoft Windows Support
SCS Computing Facilities offers support for Windows-based hosts: hardware support, installation and support of a baseline software environment, and network backups (if explicitly requested.) These services are available for a monthly charge . SCS Computing Facilities supports hosts running the following Windows operating systems:
- Windows 10 Enterprise Edition (64 bit only) - Default Windows Build OS
- Note: Although our baseline software has been tested and is compatible with Windows 64bit, users may experience problems with 3rd party software that is not compatible. If you rely on legacy software, it is highly recommended that you check the vendor specifications regarding compatibility with Windows 10.
Windows Disk Partitioning
All facilitized Windows systems will be deployed with one large disk partition unless otherwise requested.
Software Environment & Support
To request SCS Facilities staff to install or upgrade a PC operating system (Windows, Linux or Virtual Machine) use the PC installation/upgrade request form. Additional software is available from SCS and CMU Computing Services distribution servers.
The SCS Baseline Software Configuration includes the following:
- Microsoft Windows 10 Enterprise edition (64 bit) See NOTE above
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- MIT Kerberos for Windows
- Microsoft Office 2016
- Mozilla FireFox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Microsoft Windows Defender
- VPN (virtual-network client, mobile or off-site hosts only.)
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro (on request only)
- Open AFS client (on request only)
- Data Protection(if registered for Data Protection)
Backups of Windows hosts are not enabled by default. You must specifically request that SCS Computing Facilities backup your computer. For more information, click here.