Microsoft Windows Support
SCS Computing Facilities support for Windows-based hosts includes: hardware support, installation and support of a baseline software environment, and network backups (if explicitly requested.) Users incur a monthly charge for this support. SCS Computing Facilities supports hosts running the following Windows operating systems:
- Windows 7 Enterprise Edition (64 bit default)
- Note: Although our baseline software has been tested and is compatible with Windows 7 64bit, users may experience problems with 3rd party software that is not compatible. If you rely on legacy software, it is highly recommended that you check the vendor specifications regarding compatibility with Windows 7.
- Windows 7 32 bit is available upon request
- Windows Vista Enterprise Edition (supported but no longer being deployed)
- Windows XP Service Pack 3
Other Versions of Windows:
- Windows 2000: Support for Windows 2000 was officially discontinued in August of 2008. Any remaining Windows 2000 hosts are subject to removal from SCS software support.
Facilities support for Windows PCs includes: installation of a baseline software environment, network backups (if explicitly requested), and hardware and software support. Users incur a monthly charge for this support.
Hosts covered by hardware support are entitled to the following:
- UPS: Uninterruptible power supply for use if there is ever a power-loss event.
- Warranty processing and component replacement of failed hardware typically by the next business day.
- Out-of-warranty component replacement of failed hardware.
Windows Disk Partitioning
All facilitized Windows systems will be deployed with one large disk partition unless otherwise requested.
Software Environment & Support
To request SCS Facilities staff to install or upgrade a PC operating system (Windows, Linux, or dual boot), use the PC installation/upgrade request form. Additional software is available from SCS and CMU Windows software distribution servers.
The SCS Baseline Software Configuration includes the following:
- Microsoft Windows 7 Enterprise edition (64 bit Default) See NOTE above
- Adobe Acrobat Reader
- MIT Kerberos for Windows
- Microsoft Office 2010
- Mozilla FireFox
- Mozilla Thunderbird
- Oracle Calendar
- Symantec Endpoint Protection, including Antivirus and Antispyware
- iPass (remote network-access, mobile or off-site hosts only.)
- VPN (virtual-network client, mobile or off-site hosts only.)
- Adobe Acrobat X Pro (on request only)
- Open AFS client (on request only)
- TiBs backup client (on request only)
Backups of Windows hosts are not enabled by default. You must specifically request that SCS Computing Facilities backup your computer. Desktops and laptops use different backup systems, so consult our pages onWindows backups and laptop backups for details and limits on the service we can provide.