Anonymous FTP Service Decomission
Several of the CS web servers used to accept anonymous FTP connections. The hostname ftp.cs.cmu.edu resolved (on a round-robin basis) to one of those web servers. This service was (will be) disabled on October 15 2014.
We are no longer providing this as a way to outload or upload content. We are decomissioning this service for several reasons.
- The transfer of data and authentication mechanisms are not secure.
- The content provided by ftp.cs.cmu.edu is effectively replicated by http://www.cs.cmu.edu .
- The demand for this service has dropped sharply.
- Anonymous upload of data has been disabled for many months.
- When anonymous upload of data was enabled, it was often abused.
We do not plan on providing mechanisms for anonymous upload of data.
The alternatives we provide are