Fedora Linux supportWe support the following versions of Fedora Linux on PC hardware:
- Fedora 14 (AFS systypes i386_f14 and amd64_f14)
- Fedora 10 (AFS systypes i386_f10 and amd64_f10)
- Fedora 7 (AFS systypes i386_f7 and amd64_f7)
- Phasing out:
- Fedora Core 5 (AFS systype i386_fc5 and amd64_fc5)
- Fedora Core 3 (AFS systype i386_fc3 and amd64_fc3)
- RedHat 9 (AFS systype i386_rh80)
Hardware supportSome types of PC hardware do not work well under Facilitized Linux. If you wish to purchase a new PC, please see our recommended PC page for a list of supported PC configurations. If you do not see configuration there that meets your needs, please consult with us before purchasing a Linux PC that you intend to have Facilities support.
Contact us if you have any hardware problems on a Facilities-supported host.
Software environmentSupported Fedora hosts run the Facilities software environment. Most SCS-specific and user-contributed software is in /usr/local. The following resources describe some features of this environment:
- Unix/Linux quick reference
- Gives a brief overview of some common questions when using Facilitized hosts
- Unix/Linux local system administration guide
- Detailed information about some of the special procedures that one should follow in order to perform various system administration tasks on Facilitized hosts.
- Managing local software with Depot
- How to use Depot to manage the software in /usr/local.
Troubleshooting and FAQsIf you have a software or hardware problem with a supported host, you should contact SCS Facilities for assistance. The local Linux FAQ has answers to some common Linux-specific questions.
Additional informationThe following off-site links will open in a new browser window:
- Frequently Zephyred questions
- Answers to many common questions about using and troubleshooting Unix/Linux at SCS.
- A good source of general information about Linux, with pointers to other resources.
- Linux Documentation Project
- An archive of FAQ's and HOWTO's.
- An index of linux applications and code. Freshmeat is searchable, and gives links to homepages, package download sites, and mirrors, as well as having a comment section for each item.
- Redhat hardware compatibility lists
- Hardware compatibility lists for earlier and current versions of Redhat Linux
- Linux Weekly News
- A news page that compiles some of the important news pertaining to the linux community. The Distributions section has a list of most of the many different linux distributions.
- Linux on Laptops
- A very comprehensive list of web pages containing information on installing linux on a particular brand of laptop. Also has many good links for any laptop owner who runs linux.
- Keep up to date with the latest security issues.
- The GNU Project
- Homepage for "GNU/Linux"; also has links/info for the Free Software Foundation.
- GNU Manuals
- Online manuals to some of the common GNU utilities.
- Useful tool for adding a linux boot option to NT's bootloader. This utility has ceased to be needed, as LILO can now be used to boot NT.
- Western Pennsylvania Linux Users Group
- Often meets on the CMU campus.