Recommended PCs - SCS Computing FacilitiesThe following PC configurations, in four main categories, are recommended by SCS Computing Facilities:
As of: October 2015
Unless otherwise noted, SCS Computing Facilities has tested these configurations and found them to work with the currently supported Windows and Linux operating systems. If you choose to purchase a PC not on this list and wish to run Linux, please check with SCS Help Desk to confirm that your proposed hardware is compatible with an SCS Computing Facilities-supported version.
Some flexibility is possible regarding memory and disk configurations. In addition, variations on the basic configuration are available, and SCS Computing Facilities will attempt to accommodate special needs.
SCS Computing Facilities recommends purchasing business or enterprise class machines and hardware. Disadvantages to purchasing non-business class machines include:
- Machines may not be eligible for Computing Facilities support. Send mail to email@example.com prior to purchasing a non-business class machine to check what your support options are.
- Systems will take longer to build and may have significantly longer repair turnarounds.
To be eligible for SCS Computing Facilities hardware support:
- Dell and Lenovo laptop purchases must include the accidental damage protection offered by the manufacturer, which covers all repairs due to accidental damage (for example: spills and drops) for the warranty period.
- Apple computer purchases must include AppleCare coverage. AppleCare extends the manufacturer warranty to 3 years. AppleCare coverage does not include accidental damage protection.
- Computer purchases from other manufacturers must include any extended warranty or accidental damage protection, if offered.
Once the manufacturer warranty expires, SCS Computing Facilities hardware support will remain in effect until you request to have it removed.
All prices are subject to change. For a list of available Dell Equipment, access the company's site via the CMU "Internet Purchasing Portals" page (offsite link, will open in a new window and requires ISO clearance). Then select "Dell" on the pulldown "Supplier List." For more information about Lenovo ThinkPads, see the CMU Computer Store site.
Note: SCS Computing Facilities software support is not offered on Linux laptops.
Please contact SCS Help Desk for assistance configuring any of these recommended machines to better meet your needs.
Dell Latitude E7450
- Intel® Core i7-5600U Processor (2.6GHz), 8 GB 1600MHz DDR3L RAM (1x8GB), 256 GB Solid State Drive, 14.0" FHD+(1920x1080) Anti-Glare WLED Display, Intel HD graphics 5500, No Optical Drive, Intel wireless 802.11 AC, webcam, 4 cell Lithium Ion battery with ExpressCharge, includes 4 year accidental damage protection. $1723.38
- Optional: 16GB (2x8GB) 1600MHz DDR3L Memory (for a total of 16GB maximum memory) [add $61.99]
- Optional: E-port Plus, dock adds dual digital display and legacy port support, USB 3.0 [add $142.35]
Lenovo Thinkpad T450
- Intel® Core i7-5600U Processor (2.6GHz), 8GB DDR3L RAM (soldered on-board w/1 open slot), 500GB Solid State Hybrid Drive, 14.0" (1600x900) Anti-Glare LED Widescreen-backlit Display, Intel HD graphics 5500, No Optical Drive, 802.11ac, webcam, fingerprint reader, 3 cell internal battery and 3 cell external Lithium Ion battery, approx. weight 3.8 lbs., includes accidental damage protection. $1,452.82
- Optional: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3 SDRAM SODIMM (for a total of 16GB maximum memory) [add $56.99]
- Optional: Lenovo Thinkpad Ultra Dock, 90W provides support for multiple external displays [add $253.95]
Dell Optiplex 9020
- Intel® i7 4790 Quad Core (3.6GHz) processor, 16 GB 1600MHz DDR3 Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745 graphics card w/ 4GB DDR3, 1 VGA 1 DVI 1 HDMI, Dell U2414H 24" Flat Panel Display with Sound Bar, DVD±RW. $1384.32
Dell Precision Workstation T3600
- These systems are custom configured to meet the needs of users requiring greater computing power and expansion. One of our technical consultants will configure a system to meet your needs. Contact the SCS Help Desk for more information
Contact the SCS Help Desk for more information about servers listed below.
Dell PowerEdge R430 (1U rack mount chassis)
- Two sockets, uses Intel Xeon V3 processors (up to 16 cores per socket, 32 cores total), up to 4 x 3.5" disks or 8 x 2.5" disks, up to 384 GB of memory.
Dell PowerEdge R730 (2U rack mount chassis)
- Two sockets, uses Intel Xeon V3 processors (up to 18 cores per socket, 36 cores total), up to 8 x 3.5" disks or 16 x 2.5" disks, up to 1536 GB of memory.
Dell PowerEdge T430 (mid range tower)
- Two sockets, uses Intel Xeon V3 processors (up to 12 cores per socket, 24 cores total), up to 8 x 3.5" disks or 16 x 2.5" disks, up to 384 GB of memory.
Dell PowerEdge R815 (2U high performance rack mount chassis)
- Four sockets, uses AMD processors (up to 16 cores per socket, 64 cores total), up to 6 x 2.5" disks, up to 512 GB of memory.
Dell PowerEdge R920 (4U high performance rack mount chassis)
- Four sockets, uses Intel Xeon V2 processors (up to 15 cores per socket, 60 cores total), up to 24 x 2.5" disks, up to 6TB of memory.