Printing on Windows 10 hosts
Most SCS Computing Facilities-installed Windows hosts will come deployed with one or more networked printers already installed. If you need to install additional printers, most of the printers on our printer lists are available for installation through the server monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu.
- Open Devices and Printers. (Found in the control panel and in the start menu.)
- Click Add a printer or scanner at the top of the window.
- Click The printer that I want isn't listed.
- Under Select a shared printer by name input \\monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu\printername. Then click Next.
- Click Next
- Click Finish
To browse for printers, enter \\monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu\ without entering a printer name and a list will pop up. You can narrow the list starting to enter the name. For example, \\monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu\ghc will get you a list of all the printers that start with ghc.
Printing on the wireless network
You can print to the publc printers of the SCS network via the CMU wireless network only if you are verified by authentication with a valid SCS account. Mapping a drive to the path \\monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu\pc_dist will allow you to athenticate your account by requesting your SCS username and password. You will be able to install the SCS public printers once you are authenticated. The following steps will assist you to map a drive and authenticate:
- Go to File Explorer (accessible via the start menu)
- Right Click This PC in the left hand side bar.
- Click Map network drive... from the drop down menu.
- Select a drive letter in the Drive box.
- In the Folder box, type the path for server and shared resource in the following format: \\monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu\PC_dist.
- Check Reconnect at sign-in and Connect using different credentials
- Select Finish.
- A request for the SCS user name and password will be prompted.
- Enter scs\username and password.
(We recommend when printing remotely off campus the user should access SCS network using VPN )
Refer to the above instructions to install your printer.
- Windows support
- How to use Windows hosts in the SCS environment.