Printing on Windows 8 hosts
Most Facilities-installed Windows hosts will come deployed with one or more networked printers already installed.
- Hold the 'Windows' key and press 'S' (the 'search' dialogue will appear) Enter 'devices and printers'
- Click Add a printer under the menu bar.
- Click The printer that I want isn't listed.
- Under Select a shared printer by name input \\scs-print.srv.cs.cmu.edu\SCS-Public.
Printing on the wireless network (or from personal Windows 8 hosts)
You can print to the publc printers of the SCS network via the CMU wireless network only if you are verified by authentication with a valid SCS account. Mapping a drive to the path \\scs-print.srv.cs.cmu.edu\print-auth will allow you to athenticate your account by requesting your SCS username and password. You will be able to install the SCS public printers once you are authenticated. The following steps will assist you to map a drive and authenticate:
- Hold the 'Windows' key and press 'S' (the 'search' dialogue will appear) Enter 'This PC'
- Click Map network drive under 'Computer' in the menu bar.
- Select a drive letter in the Drive box.
- In the Folder box, type the path for server and shared resource in the following format: \\scs-print.srv.cs.cmu.edu\print-auth.
- Select Finish.
- A request for the SCS user name and password will be prompted.
- Enter SCS\username and password.
(We recommend when printing remotely off campus the user should access SCS network using VPN )
Refer to the above instructions to install your printer.
- Windows support
- How to use Windows hosts in the SCS environment.