August 2013 Critical Windows and Adobe patches
August 16, 2013
On August 13, 2013, Microsoft released critical patches for Windows.
* All Windows PCs must be patched. *
To patch your PC:
Click on the update icon on the taskbar. It is a globe or yellow shield with an exclamation point, depending on which version of Windows you're running.
If you do not have such an icon, run Windows Update by going to the site:http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
After patching, you must reboot your PC in order for the patches to take effect.
IMPORTANT: If you have not reset your SCS Windows password since Friday, July 26, 2013, you will not be able to log in to your computer with your SCS Windows account after rebooting.
If you are unsure whether you have changed your Windows passsword since that date, please contact the SCS Help Desk at x8-4231 or by replying to this email.
If you have changed your SCS Windows password since Friday, July 26th and your Windows account has not been re- enabled by the Help Desk, please contact the Help Desk to have your Windows account re-enabled.
If you still need to reset your Windows password or you can't log in after you reboot your computer:
The SCS Help Desk can assist with resetting or re-enabling your SCS Windows password. We ask that you either come to the Help Desk in GHC 4203 with photo ID (Monday-Friday, 9a-5p) or send us the following information by fax (412.268.7397) or email (email@example.com):
- a copy of valid photo ID
- your SCS username
- a phone number we can reach you at to read your new password to you
TO CHANGE YOUR SCS WINDOWS PASSWORD:
If you have more than one Windows computer and to avoid being locked-out, you should:
1. Log out of all other Windows computers
2. Log in to the Instance Manager at https://webiso.cs.cmu.edu/instance
3. Click 'Change Password' at the bottom next to your Windows account
4. Enter and verify your new SCS Windows password
5. Contact the Help Desk to have your SCS Windows account re-enabled
6. Log back on to each Windows computer with your new SCS Windows password
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call the SCS Help Desk (x8-4231) if you have questions or problems with applying these patches.