October Windows security patches
October 15, 2003
On October 15, 2003, Microsoft released patches for several critical security vulnerabilities. These vulnerabilities could allow your PC to be compromised either by a remote attacker, or by opening a specially crafted HTML e-mail or visiting a malicious web site. More information about these vulnerabilities can be found at:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/20031015_windows.asp (off-site link, will open in a new window)
Everyone must run Windows Update and patch their PCs
To run Windows Update and patch your PC:
- Run Internet Explorer (version 5 or higher).
- Select "Windows Update" under the "Tools" menu.
- Once you have connected to the Windows Update site, select "Scan for updates" (if you are running Windows 2000 or XP).
- You should install all "Critical Updates"
- You will need to reboot your machine after installation.
- Because some updates depend on previous updates already being installed, you should re-run Windows Update after rebooting to verify that you have successfully installed the patches, and to install any remaining critical updates.
If you have questions, or need assistance in patching, please contact email@example.com or call the SCS Help Desk at x8-4231 (9-5, M-F).