Digital Unix/DUX support phaseout
July 6, 2003
Support for the Alpha/DUX platform will be phased out January 1, 2004. This change is due to several factors:
- Support for DUX as an operating system has been increasingly difficult as security patches and other fixes from HP are not generally available.
- Licensing of the DUX platform has become increasingly expensive.
- Very few Alpha/DUX machines remain in use and continued Facilities support for this outdated software is no longer practical.
In general, users who are currently on facilities-supported Alpha machines should consider moving to either Solaris or Linux as their supported platform. In the coming weeks, all users on Alpha machines will be contacted to determine their best upgrade path. Options for users on Alpha machines include:
- Migrating the functionality of the Alpha machine to another, non-Alpha, existing machine.
- Purchase new, or obtain refurbished, hardware that will run either Linux or Solaris.
- Continuing to run on existing hardware without support from SCS Computing Facilities.