Support for wireless networking is provided by CMU Computing Services, not SCS Facilities. Your host needs to be registered with Computing Services in order to access the CMU wireless network. When you register your host, you register it in the WV.CS.CMU.EDU domain in order to access SCS-specific services.
Personal/project wireless access points
Personal wireless access points are banned on campus. In cases where the device is being used for a specific teaching or research application, Computing Services will work with faculty to determine whether there are circumstances under which use of the device may still be accommodated without causing interference to Wireless Andrew users.
Restrictions on using wireless connections
Note: Wireless is not meant to be a substitute for "wired" networking. In particular, we will not back up hosts over the wireless network, and you should not run high-bandwidth connections over wireless.
How to register a host for wireless networking
- Go to http://netreg.net.cmu.edu [this link will open in a new window].
- Once you have entered the registration page, select Register new machine.
- Select wireless network and select Continue to go to the next page.
- Choose a hostname and select the WV.CS.CMU.EDU domain.
- Fill out the rest of the form.