Potential problems - Unable to resolve NetBIOS nameIf you encounter this error, it likely indicates an unsuccessful attempt to connect with another host using only the host's NETBIOS name, e.g. "monolith." If you can access the host by using its fully qualified domain name (FQDN), e.g. "monolith.scs.ad.cs.cmu.edu," the problem may be related to the WINS service.
As a general rule in SCS, WINS addresses should not be entered statically but should be dynamically pulled from the DHCP server. A "best practice" would be to connect to hosts via their FQDN.
To change from static to dynamic WINS entries:
- Go to "Start > Run", and type: "ncpa.cpl" then select "OK"
- Right click on "Local Area Connection" and select "Properties"
- Double-click on "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)"
- Click "Advanced" then the "WINS" tab
- Select any IP addresses in the "WINS addresses, in order of use:" window and, for each, click "Remove" (remove all WINS entries)