Configure Thunderbird for MacOS X - Phase I
Before installing and configuring Thunderbird 3.x.x please refer to the new features page
Note: Before you can configure Thunderbird, you will need a mailbox on the SCS Corvid mail system and a Kerberos mail-instance password. If you don't have a mailbox, or you aren't sure, contact <email@example.com> or call the SCS HelpDesk, x8-4231. If you haven't yet created your Kerberos mail-instance, used only for mail access, follow the how to create Kerberos instances procedure.
If you are using Thunderbird for the first time, or if no email accounts have been configured yet, the account-creation screen opens automatically, and you can skip the first two steps below. If you see an "Import Settings" screen, select "Don't import anything"
If your Thunderbird client is already configured to access incoming messages, you can jump directly to Phase II and secure your outgoing email.
Phase I - Access incoming email
- Open Thunderbird, click on the "Tools" menu, then select "Account Settings"
- Click the "Add Account" button at bottom left to open the "New Account Setup" dialog, then select "Email account" from the list and click "Next."
- In the Account Wizard's "Identity" window, enter your own data where the example shows "jsmith" and "firstname.lastname@example.org." Make sure to include the "+" after your username in your email address. When you're done, click "Next."
- In the "Server Information" window, specify both your incoming and outgoing mail servers. Select the "IMAP" protocol first, then enter the server names as shown at right, and click "Next."
- In the "User Names" window, the name that you supplied earlier with your email address appears in both fields. Remove the "+" from each, then click "Next."
- In the "Account Name" window, choose an account name or accept the default, which is your email address. Click "Next."
- Finally, the "Congratulations" window summarizes your account information. Compare yours against the screen shot at right and use the "Back" button to correct any typos or omissions. Click "Finish."
- When prompted for a password, give your Kerberos mail-instance password
Congratulations! You've successfully configured the Thunderbird email client to read your SCS email. If you encounter problems or have questions, contact <email@example.com> or call the SCS HelpDesk, x8-4231.