Backup & Restore
SCSCF provides data backup and restore solutions for registered computers in our environment. We provide two main backup service offerings: Archival Backup Service and Data Protection Service. The SCS community handles valuable data on a daily basis and having backup software adds a tier of protection for issues that may occur in the future. SCSCF offers backup solutions to meet different computing scenarios.
Data Protection ServiceThis page details our Archival Backup Service. For information on our Data Protection Service, click here.
Archival Backup Service
We provide data backup solutions for the following operating systems:
- Microsoft Windows 10 and 7 Details.
- macOS High Sierra, Sierra and El Capitan Details.
- Ubuntu 16.04 LTS, 14.04 LTS, and other SCS customized Unix/Linux platforms. Details.
We also provide data backup solutions for AFS. Details.
As a prerequisite, to be elegible to register for Archival Backup Service, the computer must running an SCS Computing Facilities-supported and configured operating system. There is a monthly charge for our Archival Backup Service.
Important note: Hosts are not placed into the backup system by default. Archival Backup Service has to be specifically requested (registerred for the service).
Backup Status Dashboard
You can check the status of backup routines for all of your Archival Backup Service subscribed machines using the Backup Status Dashboard (SCS login required). Additional information about using this tool is available here.
Restrictions on backups
- We may not be able to provide backups for hosts with unusual software or hardware configurations, extremely large disks, or that have large amounts of data that change on a daily basis.
- Archival Backup Service requires the computer be located on-premise (on-campus) and connected to the SCS/CMU Wired Network. With this service, We cannot back up hosts over wireless or remote connections. If your use case requires remote work, wireless networking only or other network considerations but have an internet connection, our Data Protection Service may be a better option. Details
- We do not backup up databases, virtual OS images, or specific directories/files. Details.
- On all platforms, the backup system is not able to back up open files. Therefore, it is important to close long-running programs (e-mail, calender programs, etc) before backups run in order to make sure that data files get backed up successfully.
We can provide backups for dual-boot hosts, but backups must be requested for each operating system for which backups are desired. Only the operating system that is running at the time backups are scheduled will be backed up. If you have a file that you know that you would like to be backed up please make sure that you leave your machine booted overnight into the operating system that the file resides on in order to increase the chances that it get backed up.