AFS project volumes
Projects and individual users may request AFS space for their work, subject to the following constraints:
- Project volumes have, at creation, a default size of 5 GB
- Project volumes may be created with quotas of up to 25 GB. Additional space may be available upon request.
- Project volumes receive nightly backup, unless users explicitly decline this service
Requesting AFS project space
To request AFS project space, send mail to <email@example.com>
with the following information:
- Project name
- Faculty sponsor for the project
- SCS userIDs of two people who will serve as "project administrators" for the space
- Name of the initial volume to be created
- Desired volume size, if greater than the 5 GB default
- Do you intend to offer web content as http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~projectname for this volume?
Managing AFS project space
Tips for project-volume administrators:
- Past experience indicates that "best practice" involves following consistant volume-naming schemes and, to avoid reserving space that may not be used, extending quotas and creating volumes only as needed
- Volume names may contain up to 20 alphanumeric characters. Volume names may include a hyphen. Avoid other punctuation and special characters, such as underbar "_". Some popular conventions use <project_name>-N for volumes (e.g. "HQB-hyper-1"), <project_name>-<userid> for a project member's personal space, and <project_name>-src for a source-code repository.
- Contact the SCS Help Desk, <firstname.lastname@example.org> or x8-4231, for information on obtaining additional capacity