AFS is organized into administrative units called cells. Each cell has its own accounts, file-space organization, and policies. Some of the AFS cells at CMU are:
- Administered by SCS Facilities.
- Administered by CMU Computing Services.
- Administered by ECE Facilities.
fs wscellto see which cell the host you are on belongs to.
By convention, on hosts running AFS, files for each cell are located under the directory /afs/<cellname>. For example, files in the cs.cmu.edu cell are located under /afs/cs.cmu.edu/. On hosts running the SCS Facilities environment, you can abbreviate the cellname and just use the first component of the name for AFS cells at CMU. For example: /afs/cs/ or /afs/andrew/.
- Cross-realm authentication
- How to add users in certain AFS cells to access lists in a different cell.