Associate teaching Professor of Computer Science
Department of Computer Science
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Av.
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
Office: Gates 6005
Phone: (412) 268-1559
Fax: (412) 268-5573
guna at cs dot cmu dot edu
Assistant : Barbara Grandillo, Gates 6010, (412) 268-7550
I am now a faculty at Princeton University Computer Science Department and work on some innovative technology products.
I am working on a start-up a-curate that is a distribution platform for high-quality educational and training videos. You can now subscribe to the platform AT http://acurate.io
- Teaching Interests:
I generally teach courses in Algorithms, Data Science, introduction to Pen Computing, Effective programming with C and Unix, and involved with principles of Imperative Programming. I am very interested in understanding the science of learning and have received funding from HP, NSF, Gates Foundation, Microsoft and Google
- Research Interests:
My early research interest was in computational linear algebra.
I studied non-negative matrices and their applications to accelerating iterative methods.
Since 1994, I have been involved in projects involving creating the next generation of electronic
learning environments. My current research areas include application of machine learning and Human Computer Interaction
in creating intelligent learning systems. I am also working on ink-based domain specific applications for tablet PC's. I am also deeply involved in Classroom Salon project an effort to create a usable and smart platform for group interactions around documents. It is really cool. Take a look. We have 20,000 user now
Here are links to some of my research projects
Pen Computing in Education
Adaptive Book Project
Some news to share
|ASSOCIATED PRESS NEWS
|EXCEPTIONAL ACHIEVEMENT AWARD
- News: Can Social Networks Save failing students?
- EDUCATION: B.Sc (honors) (Math Special), M.S (Computer Science), Ph.D(Computational Mathematics)
- Recent Conferences
- Text Books I have Authored
- Employment History
- Associate teaching Professor of Computer Science, School of Computer Science, Carnegie Mellon University Pittsburgh, PA 1998 -
- Adjunct faculty in Computer Science, Post Graduate Institute of Science, University of Peradeniya, Sri Lanka 2000 -
- Associate Professor/Assistant Professor, Department of Computer and Mathematical Sciences, University of Houston, Downtown, Houston, TX 1989-1997
- Chief Scientist, TextCentric Technologies, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 2002 -
- Chief Scientist, Laksoft Technologies, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania - 2001-2002
- Adaptive Book Project
- Tablet Math Whiz
- CLO Project
- Blue Map
- Pen Based Computing
- Advanced Programming techniques
- Mathematical Foundations of CS
- Fundamental Data Structures and Algorithms
- System Skills in C and Unix
- Programming Applications in Computational Finance
- Computer Algorithms
- Computational Linear Algebra
- My previous courses:
- CS 410 Computer Graphics
- CS 300 Analysis of Algorithms
- CS 415 Applied Linear Algebra
- CS 415 Software Engineering
I am originally from Sri Lanka and now a proud American Here is a nice documentary about Sri Lanka on You Tube
My Life at Ananda College and University of Colombo, Sri Lanka
- I played sports while I was at Ananda College Colombo and University of Colombo. I captained the Ananda College second fifteen rugby team and was a member of the first fifteen rugby team and first eleven hockey team. At University of Colombo, I captained the Field Hockey team that played in Division A club hockey. In addition to that I was awarded university of Colombo Colors in Rugger, Field Hockey, Athletics and Basketball. Click here to see some old pictures. Now I am a member of the Pittsburgh Steelstyx hockey club and regularly play tennis and basketball.
Life Lessons from Randy Pausch
- I was blessed to have known my colleague Randy Pausch. Everytime I am down on life, I listen to his "last lecture". when you think life is tough Click here to listen to Randy
- My wife Sriya Gunawardena is an Associate Professor of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology at University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and a clinical Pediatric hematologist/Oncologist at Childrens Hospital of Pittsburgh. We have two daughters Naomi and Naoka.
Last updated March 10, 2016
| ||Please send corrections to Ananda Gunawardena, |
Computer Science Department,
Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA.