15-453 Formal Languages, Automata, and Computation
Lecture 34: The Importance of SAT
This lecture is given by Mihai Budiu.
This lecture tries to convey the following messages:
- SAT is a very important problem not only from a theoretical
p.o.v, but also from a practical one.
- Many real-life optimization problems are NP-hard. Having a
quick solution for SAT would solve them all.
- NP-complete problems are worst-case hard.
- If NP=P, there is no cryptography.
- Cryptography uses problems which are not known to be
NP-complete; they must be hard on average.
- We know very simple algorithms which can solve easy instances of