- Dissertation: Mining and Querying Multimedia Data.
- Graph mining for knowledge extraction from web-scale corpora.
- Pattern mining for heterogeneous networks with tensor analysis.
- Querying and mining of image databases of Drosophila embryo gene expression.
- Querying and mining satellite image collections.
- Modeling and analysis of search engine click logs.
- Model-based reconstruction of temporally evolving network topologies.
- A switching Kalman filter model for the analysis of array CGH data.
- A Bayesian graphical model for multimedia information retrieval.
- Software Engineering Intern at the Ads Team, Facebook
- Mentor: Yanxin Shi
- Project: Tracking and logging how long users spend on landing pages after ad clicks.
- Duration: 14 weeks (May 17, 2010 - Aug 20, 2010)
- Location: Palo Alto, CA
- Analytics Intern at the Analytics Team, LinkedIn
- Mentor: Monica Rogati
- Project: Dashboarding and modeling for talent match, the LinkedIn proprietary product to make automatic recommendation of qualified job candidates.
- Duration: 13 weeks (Jun 01, 2009 - Aug 28, 2009)
- Location: Mountain View, CA
- Research Intern at the Internet Services Research Center, Microsoft Research
- Mentor: Chao Liu
- Project: Statistical models for large-scale analysis of search engine click logs.
- Duration: 12 weeks (Jun 03, 2008 - Aug 22, 2008)
- Location: Redmond, WA
- Intern at the Data Mining and Research Group, Yahoo!
- Mentor: Suju Rajan
- Project: Quality evaluation of keyword sets from advertiser bids using topic analysis.
- Duration: 13 weeks (May 21, 2007 - Aug 17, 2007)
- Location: Sunnyvale, CA
- Fan Guo and Chao Liu. Statistical models for web search clicks log analysis. CIKM '09, Hong Kong, China, November 2009 . [PPT]
- Robson L.F. Cordeiro, Fan Guo, Donna S. Haverkamp, James H. Horne, Ellen K. Hughes, Gunhee Kim, Luciana A.S. Romani, Priscila P. Coltri, Tamires T. Souza, Agma J.M. Traina, Caetano Traina Jr., Christos Faloutsos. QuMinS: Fast and scalable querying, mining and summarizing multi-modal databases. Information Sciences, 264, 2014. [Abstract]
- Koji Maruhashi, Fan Guo, Christos Faloutsos. MultiAspectForensics: mining large heterogeneous networks using tensor. Intl. J. Web Engineering and Technology, 7(4), 2012. [PDF]
- Chao Liu, Fan Guo, and Christos Faloutsos. Bayesian Browsing Model: Exact Inference of Document Relevance from Terabytes Data, ACM TKDD, 4(4), 2010. [PDF]
- Conference and Workshop:
- Koji Maruhashi, Fan Guo, Christos Faloutsos. MultiAspectForensics: Pattern Mining on Large-scale Heterogeneous Networks with Tensor Analysis. ASONAM '11, Kaohsiung, Taiwan, July 2011 . [PDF]
- Robson L. F. Cordeiro, Fan Guo, Donna S. Haverkamp, James H. Horne, Ellen K. Hughes, Gunhee Kim, Agma J. M. Traina, Caetano Traina Jr., and Christos Faloutsos. QMAS: Querying, Mining And Summarization of Multi-modal Databases. ICDM '10, Sydney, Australia, December 2010 . [Slides PDF][TR]
- Chao Liu, Fan Guo, Christos Faloutsos. BBM: Deriving click models from petabyte-scale data. KDD '09, Paris, France, June 2009. [PDF][PPT]
- Fan Guo, Chao Liu, Anitha Kannan, Tom Minka, Michael Taylor, Yi-Min Wang, and Christos Faloutsos. Click chain model in web search. WWW '09, Madrid, Spain, April 2009 . [PDF][PPT][FAQ]
- Fan Guo, Chao Liu, and Yi-Min Wang. Efficient multiple-click models in web search. WSDM '09, Barcelona, Spain, February 2009 . [PDF][PPT]
- Fan Guo, Lei Li, and Christos Faloutsos. Tailoring click models to user goals. WSCD '09: Workshop on web search click data, Barcelona, Spain, February 2009 . [PDF][Poster]
- Lei Li, Wenjie Fu, Fan Guo, Todd C. Mowry, and Christos Faloutsos. Cut-and-stitch: efficient parallel learning of linear dynamical systems on SMPs. KDD '08, Las Vegas, NV, August 2008. [PDF][Poster]
- Fan Guo, Lei Li, Christos Faloutsos, and Eric P. Xing. C-DEM: A Multi-Modal Query System for Drosophila Embryo Databases. VLDB '08, Demonstration Track, Auckland, New Zealand, August 2008 . [PDF][PPT]
- Fan Guo, Steve Hanneke, Wenjie Fu, and Eric P. Xing. Recovering temporally rewiring networks: a model-based approach. ICML '07, Corvallis, OR, June 2007 . [PDF][PPT]
- Yanxin Shi, Fan Guo, Wei Wu, Eric P. Xing. GIMscan: a new statistical method for analyzing whole-genome array CGH data. RECOMB '07, Oakland, CA, April 2007 . [PDF][PPT][TR]
- PC Member, CIKM'14, WSDM'12, WSDM'11.
- (External) Reviewer: KDD'10, WWW'09, VLDB'09, CIKM'09, WWW'08, PKDD'08, ICDM'07, SDM'07.
- Journal Reviews: Journal of Machine Learning Research (JMLR), ACM Transactions on Intelligent Systems and Technology (TIST), Journal of the American Society for Information Science and Technology (JASIST), Journal of Computer Science and Technology.
- Member of Foregin Advisory Board, Office of International Education, CMU, 2006-2011.
- Machine and Lab Manager, Database Group, 2009-2011.
- Organizer, School of Computer Science Student Seminar Series, 2009-2010.
- Member of Graduate Admissions Committee, Computer Science Department, 2009, 2010.