My research bridges signal processing and data science through designing and developing scalable and interpretable algorithms for mining big multi-aspect data, and applying those algorithms into real-world problems, achieving superior performance, and obtaining valuable insights that can drive scientific discovery.
For more details, check out my Research Statement
Hello there! My name is Vagelis Papalexakis
(my 'official' name is Evangelos, but nobody really calls me that) and I come
from the beautiful city of Athens, Greece. I received my Electronic & Computer Engineering Diploma and M.Sc at the Technical University of Crete
in Chania, under the supervision of Professor Nikos Sidiropoulos
Currently, I am a fifth and final year Ph.D candidate at the Computer Science Department of Carnegie Mellon University
under the supervision of Professor Christos Faloutsos
This is my personal web page. Feel free to navigate through the menu on your left, where you may find a list of
for some of my projects, a brief bio
and some interesting links
I am on the academic job market, looking for a faculty position in Computer Science.
Download my Research Statement
, Teaching Statement
News and upcoming travel
- January 2015: Paper Automatic Unsupervised Tensor Mining with Quality Assessment accepted at SIAM SDM 2016
- December 2015: Attending IEEE CAMSAP 2015 in Cancun, Mexico.
- November 2015: Attended ICDM 2015 in Atlantic City, NJ.
- November 2015: Gave an invited tech talk at Facebook HQ in Menlo Park, CA, hosted by Sofus Macskassy.
- November 2015: Attending COSN 2015 and presenting a poster titled: Overlap Between Google and Bing Web Search Results! Twitter to the Rescue?
- October 2015: Gave an invited talk at Rutgers (hosted by Tina Eliassi-Rad).
- October 2015: Attended the WIN 2015 workshop and presented a talk titled GeoTense: Spotting Patterns in Geo-Social Networks with Tensors and a poster titled Overlap Between Google and Bing Web Search Results! Twitter to the Rescue?.
- August 2015: Attended VLDB 2015 and presented at the PhD Workshop.
- August 2015: Visited Beijing, China and gave invited talks at Tsinghua University (hosted by Peng Cui), Chinese Academy of Sciences (hosted by Ping Luo), and Microsoft Research Asia (hosted by Yu Zheng).
- August 2015: Attended KDD 2015 and presented our paper titled Whither Social Networks for Web Search?
- August 2015: Finished my summer internship at Google Research at the Structured Data Group