Favorite Systems, Networking & Security Papers
This page provides links to many fun and fascinating papers or articles in the area of systems, network and security, which not surprisingly is my main area of interest.
Global Internet Architecture & Security
Numerous efforts have attempted to map the Internet, mostly by using traceroutes from a limited number of public traceroute servers.
- Inferring Internet Denial-of-Service Activity : The backscatter paper from UCSD , my favorite.
- Internet Intrusions: Global Characteristics and Prevalence : Barford, Yegneswaran, and Ullrich
- End-to-End vs A Brave New World : David Clark and Marjory Blumenthal (WOW)
- Inside the Slammer Worm : Detail oriented, a great read written by some great researchers
- Impact of 2003 Blackouts on Internet Communication : Report by Renesys on how blackouts affected Internet reachability
- How to 0wn the Internet in Your Spare Time : Nick Weaver's Paper on very fast Internet plagues
- Inside the Linux Packet Filter : An interesting article that details the path of a packet through the Linux kernel. Read with your source code handy.