The NOTs Dictionary (Under Construction)
- Blowdown. An E-meter phenomenon where the needle
moves offscale to the right and the TA setting must be reduced by at least
0.3 units to bring the needle back on scale. This indicates a large
release of charge.
- To depart. A Scientologist who leaves the cult is said to
have "blown". The goal of NOTs auditing is to get body thetans to blow,
i.e., to depart the pre-OT.
- Bypassed Charge.
- Body Thetan
- To be free of one's reactive mind. The state of
Clear is reached before one does the OT levels. On OT III the pre-OT
learns that although his own reactive mind is gone, he is infested with
thousands of body thetans, each of which has its own reactive mind. Body
thetans are supposedly cleared by getting them to blow.
- A colletion of body thetans who are stuck
together. This is because they have some mutual incident in common. The
incident could be some kind of mishap (e.g., a train wreck), or it could
simply be a picture of getting stuck to another thetan or cluster of
- (1) Case supervisor. (2) Checksheet.
- cumulative cluster
- A cluster whose components are other
clusters. The date and location where these clusters came together must be
- Date/Locate. An auditing procedure to determine the
time and place where an incident occurred.
- dormant BT
- End Phenomenon. The goal to be reached by an auditing
action, or a sign that an action is complete and should not be run further.
"A usual session EP is an F/Ning TA." (from NOTs 18.)
- Folder Error Summary. A list of errors made during
the auditing of an individual, as well as an appraisal of the individual's
progress (or lack thereof). Frequently used as a verb, meaning "to examine
a case folder and note the errors found."
- Floating Needle. An indication on the E-meter that
an auditing action is complete.
- Listing & Nulling. An auditing procedure
where items on a list are reviewed one at a time, and those that "read" on
the meter are explored until they no longer read.
- Misunderstood. Short for "misunderstood word".
- New Era Dianetics. Dianetics done with an E-meter.
- NED for OTs. (New Era Dianetics for Operating Thetans.)
Unlike regular Dianetics, which focuses on running out engrams, in NED this
is not done because the pre-OT has already eliminated his reactive mind, so
any engrams located would belong to his BTs, not himself.
- OT III
- OT III is the course in which pre-OTs first learn of
the existence of body thetans.
- Someone who is on but has not yet completed the OT
levels. Since there are OT levels as yet unreleased, there are no "real"
OTs yet, only pre-OTs.
- Potential Trouble Source.
- Rundown. Auditing procedures are called rundowns.
- Rudiments. Factors such as missed withholds which can
cause upset or resentment, and hence interfere with auditing, unless they
are found and acknowledged.
- An illusion of a physical ailment. Caused by
conflicts among BTs and clusters. Can be cured by auditing.
- Tone Arm