What this document is
This document is intended to help Israelis who plan on studying in the US
to make the actual moving arrangements. You should read it one to two
months before the date you leave Israel. I am assuming your university has
an office for international students, that you will get temporary housing
for the first few days, and maybe some more assumptions I can't think of
The details here are largely drawn from my own experience, and were
accurate at some point in time. If you find something to be wrong, or
missing, please share by e-mailing me and I'll fix this document.
What this document is not
This document does not:
See the links section for help on some of these.
- Tell you how to get admitted to a US university.
- Help you with getting a student's (or any other) visa (your university
will probably take care of that).
- Explain the differences between different kinds of visas.
- Encourage anybody to emigrate out of Israel.
Table of contents
- Making the preparations.
- Managing your finances.
- Once you've arrived, staying on top of news
from Israel (some of this is Pittsburgh-specific).
- How to send photos to your relatives in Israel.
Maintained by Dan Pelleg.