Carnegie Mellon University
15-826 Multimedia Databases and Data Mining
Fall 2012 - C. Faloutsos
Midterm Study Guide
- No aids allowed, except
- a standard, 8'' x 11.5'' page with your notes - you may use both sides, and
- Pocket calculators: strongly recommended (logarithms)
- Duration: 1h 20 minutes
- Place: in class, during class time, 12-1:20, on Tu 10/23 (as announced).
- Extra office hours by instructor:
- Thu 10/18, 10-11:30am
- Mo 10/22, 11-12noon
Several of the links are internal to CMU.
- Undergraduate DB textbook, for
those who took a db class too long ago:
- Raghu Ramakrishnan, Johannes Gehrke, "Database Management
Systems," McGraw-Hill 2002 (3rd ed).
MATERIAL TO BE EXAMINED
All the material covered, up to and including
the lecture of Tue Oct. 16, 2012. Specifically:
- From the course schedule, all the
foils, up to and including the lecture of '220_text2.pdf'.
the file names for the foils are numbered in increasing order. As we
said, foils marked with the string 'optional' in a yellow diamond, are
2. Multimedia Indexing
- Primary key access methods
- Secondary key and spatial access methods
- Jon Louis Bentley,
Multidimensional binary search trees used for associative
searching, Comm. of the ACM (CACM), Volume 18 ,
Issue 9, pp. 509-517, (September 1975)
- A. Guttman
R-Trees: a Dynamic Index Structure for Spatial
Searching, Proc. ACM SIGMOD, June 1984, pp. 47-57, Boston,
- J. Orenstein,
Spatial Query Processing in an Object-Oriented Database
System, Proc. ACM SIGMOD, May, 1986, pp. 326-336,
- Ibrahim Kamel and Christos Faloutsos,
Hilbert R-tree: An improved R-tree using fractals Proc. of
VLDB Conference, Santiago, Chile, Sept. 12-15, 1994, pp. 500-509.
- Roberto F. Santos Filho, Agma Traina, Caetano Traina Jr., and
Similarity search without tears: the OMNI family of all-purpose
access methods ICDE, Heidelberg, Germany, April 2-6
- MM-Textbook, chapters 4 and 5.
- Christos Faloutsos and Ibrahim Kamel,
Beyond Uniformity and Independence: Analysis of R-trees Using the
Concept of Fractal Dimension, Proc. ACM
SIGACT-SIGMOD-SIGART PODS, May 1994, pp. 4-13, Minneapolis, MN.
- Alberto Belussi and Christos Faloutsos, Estimating
the Selectivity of Spatial Queries Using the `Correlation' Fractal
Dimension Proc. of VLDB, p. 299-310, 1995 (and
gzipped postscript )
- Power laws, lognormals etc: M. E. J. Newman, Power laws, Pareto distributions and Zipf's law Contemporary Physics 46, 323-351 (2005) (local pdf copy)
- Text and LSI
Last modified: Oct. 14, 2012, by Christos Faloutsos