Homework # 1: User, Task & Competitive Analysis
Hand in: Tues, Nov 6
Counts for 10% of final grade.
Each group will be creating a simulated electronic commerce web site
throughout the term for this course.
- Form groups of three (3) people. Each group should have at least one
person who can implement web pages using a page editor such as FrontPage. It
will not be necessary to implement a database server behind your
site. Be sure to write your names on the report.
- The site can either be aimed at conventional desktop computer browsers, or
else for Internet wireless devices. In either case, describe the expected
target hardware the users will have.
- As a group, decide on what your site will sell. Describe the project and
the goals for your site from a business and user point of view. Come up with
a top-level name for your site. Provide the site name, one-line
description of the site's contents, and group members.
- Describe the user characteristics of your expected users.
- Perform a hierarchical task analysis of at least two tasks for the users of your
site. Decompose the task into subtasks to an appropriate level. For each
task and sub-task, describe the goal, actions, plan, information needs, and
- Carry out competitive
analysis of at least two real sites on the WWW that are related to your
proposed site. Turn in analysis. Be sure to list the URLs.
Reports should be authored using Microsoft Word or HTML. If you use HTML,
please create a zip file including the source and all images. Turn in one report
for each group. Email the report to the TA, and turn in a hardcopy as well on
Tues, Nov 6.
Back to Homework summary
Back to Human-Computer Interaction in eCommerce main