Homework 0: Pick a Device
Assigned August 29, due August 29 (in class)
All of the assignments in this course will be individual. Most of them will
involve creating a simulated user interface for a complex device. Each student
will pick a different device. However, for a multi-function device, multiple
people can pick the same device as long as they pick different functions
on that device (for example, someone can do basic setup of a VCR and someone
else can do setting of timed recordings on a VCR). You will use the device you
select for the entire course, so choose wisely. Below are some examples that might be
selected, but feel free to make up your own, with permission of the instructor.
Note: for Homework 1, you will have to test a
user on a real version of the device, so you should select something
you own or have access to (it would be fine to use a CMU copier, for
In class on August 29, each student will pick a device.
- Desk phone with speed dial
- Answering machine with selective playing, deleting of recorded calls
- Copy machine with 2-sided copying
- Cell phone for placing calls using an address book
- Cell phone for doing instant message using an address book
- VCR or DVD/R: basic setup (which channels, clock, input source, record speed, etc.)
- VCR or DVD/R: setting timed recordings (record in the future)
- Projector configuration user interface (pick source, brightness, keystoning, etc.)
- Conventional television with contrast, brightness, channels, input sources
- High definition television with various wide-screen modes
- Digital camera including taking pictures, specifying different resolutions, turning on and off the flash, etc.
- Microwave with cooking, defrost, set current time, timed cooking, etc.
- Wall Oven, with bake, broil, self-clean, timer for timed cooking, etc.
- Washing machine, with parameters for water temperature, different cycles, etc.
- Drier with parameters for different cycles, heat, cool down, etc.
- Robotic vacuum cleaner (speed, obstacle avoidance)
- Digital video recorder (schedule recordings)
- Digital music player
- Digital FM radio with presets
- Augmented calculator (e.g., ability to see past computations, etc.)
- Alarm clock (set time, set alarm,
multiple alarms, snooze)
- Audiobook player (select book, navigate chapters)
- Programmable light (brightness, weekly on/off schedule)
- Programming lawn watering system, with timers and sensors
- Text messaging phone application
- Voice recorder (play, delete, record, rewind)
- Printer configuration (orientation, sides, color, scale)
- Wireless network chooser (select, security settings, on/off)
- Movie schedule mobile web application (by movie, by location)