(my philosophy: work hard, play often, sleep long, eat healthy, travel around, be happy)
- Triathlons - My highest point was when I completed a full Ironman 140.6 (2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run) in Louisville, Kentucky (August 25, 2013). I also completed a half Ironman (Grafham, UK, Summer '12) and two Olympic distance triathlons (Marlow, Pittsburgh).
- Marathons - I've run a few marathons (Pittsburgh thrice, Columbus) and many half-marathons (Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, Wales, Birmingham) and many 15mi/20mi/30K races around Pittsburgh (Spring Thaw, Just a Short Run, Marshall Mangler, etc).
- Biking - One of my favorite rides was the MS-150, a 150-mile weekend bike ride through the hills and farms of central Pennsylvania to raise money for Multiple Sclerosis patients. I also did the amazing Pittsburgh to Washington DC off-road trail (Great Allegheny Passage, CnO Canal) ride through parks and forests, accompanied by rivers and canals the whole 500km.
- Land - My favorite is a 26-day Basic Mountaineering Course in the Himalayas (July 1-26, 2006), introducing us to climbing, jumaring, knots, rappelling, river-crossing, snowcraft, icecraft, safety, rescue, survival, etc where we reached a maximum height of 18,200 feet. I also did a backpacking school in 2013 with the Explorer's Club of Pittsburgh that covered clothing, cooking, weather, first aid, planning, leading, etc and some wonderful overnight hikes. I completed a certified Wilderness First Aid course in 2012. I also enjoy indoor bouldering, and have done orienteering in the past.
- Air - I completed an Advanced Free Fall (part A) skydiving course that ended with my first (start assisted) solo jump and landing. I've also been paragliding and parasailing, but I'd like to do a course in those too.
- Water - I completed the PADI open water certification for scuba diving, and have had the pleasure of diving around the world (France, Iceland, Singapore, Florida, etc).
- Team - Cricket was my main obsession growing up - I played for the Oman U-13 team in the Gulf Cup (runners-up, Kuwait, 2002) and the Oman U-15 team in the Asia Cup (5th out of 14, UAE, 2004). I also played for the IIT Bombay team in three Inter-IIT tournaments (silver medallists, 2005) and around Bombay and the CMU team in a US-wide tournament. I used to play for my high school teams as well, in Oman and India. In IITB, I also played and won several sports for my hostel including basketball, water polo, football, hockey, etc and won several hostel Sports Colors and passing out Sports Color for these.
- Individual - In IITB, I also represented my hostel and won in sports like badminton and table tennis. At CMU, I picked up squash, racketball and tennis.
- International - I received the Bronze and Silver award in the International Award for Young People (Duke of Edinburgh Award Scheme). I also represented India at a 10-day cultural exchange program in Singapore (2004) and also attended a two-week Round Square Conference.
- Intercollegiate - I represented IITB at several inter-collegiate speaking and literary competitions and won events like like Just-A-Minute (unbeaten last two years), courtroom trials, impromptus, quizzes, potpourris, wordgames, etc and won an IITB Instute Cultural Citation (given to about 5 of 1000+ graduating UGs/PGs) for the 30+ competitions I had won.
- Interhostel - I represented my hostel in the Performing Arts Festival all four years (dance, background music, drama and voiceover, acting). I also took part in several inter-hostel competitions like dance, street play, drama, etc. I also represented my hostel in all literary and debating competitions, and got a hostel Cultural Citation for helping win the Literary Cup, and the overall interhostel Cultural Trophy.