Welcome to my
web-page. I am a PhD student in the
Machine Learning Department. I am currently working with
Gordon. My research revolves around building probabilistic models for textual and social data.
Prior to joining CMU, I got my BSc and MSc in computer
engineering from Cairo University, Egypt. My MSc thesis
was supervised by Prof. Amir Atiya.
While working as a teaching assistant at
Cairo University, I was also an R&D engineer at IBM
Cairo Technology Development Center and then a research
assistant at Cairo
Microsoft Innovation Center (currently known as Advanced Technology Labs Cairo) with Dr Kareem Darwish.
- I am TAing fall 2013 offering of 10701 (Machine Learning) with Geoff Gordon and Alex Smola
- I spent summer 2013 in a Bing/MSR joint internship in Redmond
- My paper with Avinava Dubey, Sinead Williamson and Eric Xing on non-parametric topic modeling over time has been accepted in SIAM Datamining Conference 2013
- I spent summer 2012 in Bellevue as a Microsoft Research intern, working with Bing Document Understanding team.
- Machine Learning (Eric Xing)
- Intermediate Statistics (Larry Wasserman)
- Statistical Machine Learning (Larry Wasserman)
- Graduate Algorithms (Manuel Blum)
- Optimization (Geoffrey Gordon and Ryan Tibshirani)
- Multimedia Databases and Data Mining (Christos Faloutsos)
- Advanced Probability Overview (Jing Lei)
- Probabilistic Graphical Models (Eric Xing)
- Spectral Graph Theory (Gary Miller)